cycling on to ferries..or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Been there & never had a problem. The ramps are that wide you have no chance of coming of them, bar you go over the side. Car & commercial vehicles are on seperate decks.
Try 01407 606700, its a bit higher up up the chain of command & see what their answer is.

Aware that the approach to the ferry is elevated & not the shortest. When they built the new terminals foot passengers were expected to walk out to the boats. Now its buses. Its also narrow in places, but if they are saying that its not safe to cycle down to the ferry, how did the three seen in June this year get there? If they have identified a hazard what are they doing to correct it?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've rode ( or should that be ridden ) on to the Harwich-Hoek Stena ferry a couple of times. They marshall the bikes in a group , together with their two-wheeled powered brethren, and on you go, car and lorry free. The bike parking is often on half a deck higher inside the ship, so once you are inside, you have to ride up a ramp. The problem is that the internal steel ramp has diagonal stampings to provide grip for HGVs. Powering down the ship entry ramp, you cross the flat deck at speed .....and come to a grinding halt ten metres up the last ramp on the rough surface. It's rather like riding into a sand-pit. At the start of an adventure, this is not a problem, merely a bit of a giggle.

Edit: SPELLING ALERT.

Being first off is very cool - down the ramp and pedal like heck out of the port! Le Havre has a nice long sweeping exit road.

The "Peleton" ferry for the Isle of Wight Randonnee is exactly like this.

A couple of hundred riders, ride on first, fill the front of the ferry with bikes and trikes, then decamp off the other end en masse.

Or the aforementioned Cowes Ferry which can also have the occasional cyclist on board, in fact too many to allow you to cycle off:

P5032010.jpg

Fiona N

Veteran
You wanna hear about stupid H&S rules concerning pedestrians and cyclists, then how about this ...?

The Eastwood Recycling Centre near Todmorden does not allow people to cycle or walk through this gateway. Once motorists have driven in, they can get out and walk about the entire site, but you are not allowed in unless you are in a motor vehicle. I don't own one, so I can't recyle my stuff in there unless I hitch a lift 5 yards from the road and in through the gates! :wacko:

Same in Kendal unless you ring up the council and ask for a permit. Pedestrians are allowed to recycle if they have a permit and the council seems to treat cyclists (I could be the only one) as pedestrians. But it's no problem to get the permit. Have ou tried ringing the council?

classic33

Leg End Member
Same in Kendal unless you ring up the council and ask for a permit. Pedestrians are allowed to recycle if they have a permit and the council seems to treat cyclists (I could be the only one) as pedestrians. But it's no problem to get the permit. Have ou tried ringing the council?

Been there, council will only recognise motor vehicles as road vehicles. Any other wheeled vehicle is not permitted entry.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
TBH I normally just pile stuff up until my sister visits and then we take a car load over there!

Apparently, the matter is being dealt with ...

Local Liberal Democrats said:
Pedestrian access: several people in Eastwood do not have cars and have been told that they cannot enter the site on foot – even though people walk around the site once inside it. Officers from Calderdale CMBC will sort this out.

classic33

Leg End Member
As you can see the ride out to the ferry isn't the easiest, narrow & two way traffic on a road built for one way operation.
Also the ramps have come a long way since B&I, now Irish Ferries, moved to Holyhead. Then they were only just over 3 foot wide with nothing between them & the sea below.

The piece off to the left of the two ferries was going to lead to the new docking area for Irish Ferries, when "Ulysses" took over the route.

Attachments

• Ferry Ramps.jpg
    Ferry Ramps.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Holyhead.jpg
    Holyhead.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 18

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
No problems at Woolwich. They even make sure all the cyclists and bikers are off before they let the cars and lorries move.

Top Bottom