Cycling on urban bridleways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambyses

In our suburban area (of northern England) we have lots of useful pathways connecting roads, most of which have annoying "No Cycling" signs, and some of which are also signposted as bridleways. I guess they are historic rights of way which predate the urbanisation of the area.

I always understood cycling on a bridleway was permitted, and I can't see why this would be less true in an urban than a rural area. So is the local authority really able to ban cycling on a bridleway, or is it exceeding its powers by putting up these signs?

Tim Hall

Is it the local authority putting up the signs? You can cycle on a public bridleway, although you should give way to horses and walkers. (Countryside act 1968). It might be worth contacting the relevant local authority to get their take on it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Speak to the Rights of Way officer at the council. It may be a 500 year old packhorse trail but it was probably relegated to footpath status in the 60s when local councils sought to avoid the cost of maintaining hundreds of miles of bridleways.

sidevalve

Über Member
Go on line and find a LARGE scale map then check the designation of the path. If it is a bridleway then you have the right to cycle on it [but remember you share it - it is NOT a cycleway and it is primarily for horse traffic] If it is designated footpath you do not have a right to use it and that is the end of the matter.
Second all bridleways have [at some point] a notice saying that that is what they are and they can change at any point to a footpath [horses will then diverge and travel on the road and so must you]
If the path is clearly labelled as a bridleway and has a 'no cycling' notice then contact your local councillor [but do it quick while he/she is desperate for votes] and request clarification and explanation.

Top Bottom