Cycling or Cycling and Jogging?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

So anyway, I'm trying to lose a bit of weight before the end of summer. I was wondering, would I get better results if I started doing a bit of jogging as well as cycling? The weather's been pretty miserable lately :rain:and there's no signs of it improving. This has put me off cycling as much as I normally would.

There's two nice routes to run, Google Maps says they're both around the two mile mark. Would running these routes (varied) each day along with a bit of cycling be better than cycling alone? I suppose that you're using different muscles so jogging would give my cycling muscles a bit of a break? (I might be totally wrong.)

Who knows? I might even become a triathlete :whistle:

Just something else here, I'm looking for a decent mountain bike so I guess it would be a combination of road cycling, jogging and mountain biking.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think its good, jogging uses some different muscles which probably help a bit for out of the saddle stuff. Its also awesome for cardio and will probably push cardio more intensively than cycling (unless you keep up a very high effort level while cycling).

I tend to favour cycling in the summer and running in the winter. I lost weight faster when I was running 3 times a week than when i focussed mainly on cycling, but I think diet was probably more to do with that.

To start with youll probably knacker your legs jogging and it might impact your cycling, but once you get used to both it gives you options so you dont get bored as quickly.

Check out this beginner programme: http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-5km/ Very similar to couch to 5k but also has other followup programmes http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/ and you can get the idea and make your own to suit yourself :smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I think its good, jogging uses some different muscles which probably help a bit for out of the saddle stuff. Its also awesome for cardio and will probably push cardio more intensively than cycling (unless you keep up a very high effort level while cycling).

I tend to favour cycling in the summer and running in the winter. I lost weight faster when I was running 3 times a week than when i focussed mainly on cycling, but I think diet was probably more to do with that.

To start with youll probably knacker your legs jogging and it might impact your cycling, but once you get used to both it gives you options so you dont get bored as quickly.

Check out this beginner programme: http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/beginner-5km/ Very similar to couch to 5k but also has other followup programmes http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/ and you can get the idea and make your own to suit yourself :smile:

Thanks for the links! On the 'rest days', do you think I could go out for a leisurely cycle?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yeah I dont see why not, once your leg muscles have got used to it anyway. You cant really push yourself at both on alternating days though, you do need rest days or at least easy days imho. :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Running is much more preferable-r than cycling so run.

Here are de benefits:

you use more muscles; your heart rate will go higher than cycling alone; if you have 40 spare minutes, run as it's not worth taking a bike out for 40 minutes AND it would take you longer than that to get kitted out and get the bike ready; it's MUCH cheaper; no-one will demand you should pay a road tax for your use of the road; falling is far less damaging if you subtract the height of your position on the bike and the speed you are travelling.

Mixing it is good. Running is great in foul weather, it doesn't matter and in 30 minutes you can do a good workout with a run. Running off road is best if you've got that choice, it'll improve your cycling too.

Running is shit.
Don't take any notice of 3stridesmcginty

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Go for it Jaz, running in the rain is fun. I can't, because I have a knackered knee, but yesterday I went for a 7 mile walk in the rain, forgot how much I enjoy it, mp3 player and all.
I lost a lot of weight last year, when I was training for a 20 mile charity walk, it stands to reason running will help your weight loss.
PS: don't buy any bike till I take you to that shop, I'll pm you, need to dash now :hello:

007fair

Do both. .. and swimming. Add tennis and 5-a-side footy too plus hill climbing and long walks. A bit of weights and stretch regularly. Drink moderately only at weekends. That should do it.

swampyseifer

tbh tho looking at your diet is going to be the most effective way to loose weight.

As far as I know I think the average calories burned in a mile of running is about 100. I'm sure you could save more than that with some small changes to your diet...for example, a Mars Bar is nearly 300 calories, just choosing not to eat that has saved you running 3 miles!

Top Bottom