Cycling (or jogging) delays aging by 12 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
'.....And 20 minutes of housework boosts moods....'

No wonder I'm so f*cking miserable!

abchandler

Heard on 5 Live this morning:

Scientific research has been carried out looking at how much better people feel on their birthday. It has shown that the feel good factor associated with your birthday is powerful enough that the more you have, the longer you live

Maz

Guru
Jogging is not good for your knees, though, is it? If done on concrete it will knacker your knees 12 years early.

buggi

Bird Saviour
did you know that cycling is the only sport that actually makes your heart grow in size. all other sports will increase the strength but cycling actually makes it grow bigger. my brother (who is a nurse) told me.

we was talking about why this is in my LBS and we reckon it's the hill work, whereas when you are jogging, rowing etc, it tends to be effort required seems to be constant and steady, with cycling you have to put more effort in sometimes and you really max out the capacity of your heart.

OP
OP
twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

I didn't know that buggi, interesting.

I try and combine cycling and swimming, I figure that's best for all over cardio vascular without risking my joints. I'm certainly not interested in gyms or doing weights.

Pity it's in the Daily Mail though - the thought of all those Daily Mail readers living another 12 years is profoundly depressing.

Twenty Inch said:
Pity it's in the Daily Mail though - the thought of all those Daily Mail readers living another 12 years is profoundly depressing.

Don't worry - it's all lies made by the Daily Mail. The truth is that cyclists die early. The story in The Guardian next to their offer of free flights to the USA. ;)

OP
OP
twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

But twenty inch, they'll probably dismiss it as another lefty myth, like climate change and go on munching their burgers and driving 100 yards to the shops.

I must confess, I enjoy reading the Mail, because I read other papers and can clearly see the angle they take on things. It's called balance. I especially enjoy the more swivel-eyed comments to the news stories. The Guardian is every bit as demented in it's own way.

ChrisKH

Guru
Which is why I take the Times so I can get something in-betweenie. Otherwise if I pick up the DM (wife's paper) or the Guardian (no one reads this round my way; I don't think they could spell it) I turn into a foul mouthed Victor Meldrew ("ffs have you seen what they've written here, I just don't bel................")

ChrisKH said:
Which is why I take the Times so I can get something in-betweenie. Otherwise if I pick up the DM (wife's paper) or the Guardian (no one reads this round my way; I don't think they could spell it) I turn into a foul mouthed Victor Meldrew ("ffs have you seen what they've written here, I just don't bel................")

Snap. I will read Guardian and Mail stories but you have to work at it to edit out the spin and get down to the reportage. If it's a contrived story, you rapidly find that there's precious little reportage.

Most papers have lines they like to take and will work the story round it. The Observer had a story about the government wanting to introduce cadet forces in state schools. It would have been a bit of a giveaway and say "Lefty teachers don't like the armed services" so the line was one of shock horror by organisations over children learning how to handle guns. When I read the detail however, the comments were fairly muted and more directed to wanting reassurance that safe arrangements would be in place over gun handling and security. Perfectly fair comments given the half baked nature of most government schemes nowadays.

Top Bottom