Cycling policy- light frames, cytronex and hilly areas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
marinyork said:
If you're talking rural areas it sounds to me a bit like the idea about youth/unemployed getting subsidised mopeds. Living in a very urban area I worry more about the urban dwellers with sky high bus fares and the potential for cycling to explode.

Ah, if there's one thing I can't stand it's the urban bus Unless you're disabled or elderly or the service exists in a hilly area it seems utterly pointless, expensive time consuming to use if you have a bicycle. The bicycle is normally a quicker, cheaper, convenient and reliable form of transport.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
But some rivers run through valleys. Sheffield, Durham, both cities on hills...

That's what I meant that normally the original settlement grew up in those valley's. I don't have a problem with electric assist preferably as long as its assist rather than a mini motorbike...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Riverman said:
I just wondered if anything like that exists for cycling resources? The question really is what factors determine need? My bias is just toward hillyness of area lol.

Normally cycling stuff piggybacks on the back of something else funding wise whether it be the transport executive, travel plans, some other transport scheme, development etc. Then there are demonstration towns and all that sort of crap where much bigger sums of money are waved around and London which I'm sure someone else can fill in on. Anyway a lot of the cyclists live in specific areas of yoghurt knitters/muesli belt/basket weavers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
That's what I meant that normally the original settlement grew up in those valley's. I don't have a problem with electric assist preferably as long as its assist rather than a mini motorbike...

My point is that some valleys are u shaped and very broad = flat city. Some are v shaped and narrow = hilly city.

I agree, pedelec is 'better', but I think it's easier (and therefore probably cheaper) to produce a bike that is just throttle, with a wheel motor and add on kit.

And it's not just hillyness. Some people who are unfit, or infirm, just benefit from having the chance to help themselves along a bit.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Riverman said:
Ah, if there's one thing I can't stand it's the urban bus Unless you're disabled or elderly or the service exists in a hilly area it seems utterly pointless, expensive time consuming to use if you have a bicycle. The bicycle is normally a quicker, cheaper, convenient and reliable form of transport.

Urban buses are overused in a sense of some journeys could be made otherwise (NOT car) but then you can argue the other way in some senses. The problem with urban buses is there is the tendency for people living in urban towns to claim they 'live in the country' and there are no bus services/train services. Sometimes they are pretty poor but most of the time people are making excuses. Funnily enough areas round here that also claim this have very bad traffic levels and very little cycling. Anyway this does look good, I wish them the best and hope someone offers me a test ride :wacko:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
And it's not just hillyness. Some people who are unfit, or infirm, just benefit from having the chance to help themselves along a bit.

As long as they are doing a bit ... if only a tiny bit... some just think let the bike do it all.

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
As long as they are doing a bit ... if only a tiny bit... some just think let the bike do it all.

I know, I overtook and stayed ahead of one last week, nearly killed me...:wacko:

TBH, just having people out in the fresh air, and getting a feel for what it's like to be on two wheels, has to have benefits for the rest of us....

potsy

Rambler
summerdays said:
I've said before that I was looking at e-bikes as my 1st bike last year,decided against it and am glad I did.
Started from being extremely unfit and know I would have relied on the power far too much,taking the option away means I had to get fitter or give it up.
I'm sure in the right circumstances they are a great idea,and will keep some people riding long after they would have had to give up.

Slightly unrelated sight today of a guy in his 70's? on a bike pedalling away in a very low gear on the flat and I was thinking 'hope I can do that at his age' :wacko:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I totally understand the view that electric bikes may act as a way to "get people into cycling". However, through making this thread, one point I'm trying to make is that this should not be the main reason to get people riding them.

To me, one of the big advantages of electric bikes are the way they enable people to view long commutes to work as much less daunting experiences. I'm sure many people here who commute to work, sometimes wake up in the morning and have to force themselves onto the bike. The electric bikes this urge to avoid that commute early in the morning, is removed somewhat.

Personally I'm perfectly at ease with the idea of someone solely using an electric bike (preferably as a pedelec) and never using one without electrical assistance. The benefits to humanity in terms of reduced co2, healthier lifestyles etc, hugely outweighs any negative effects which could occur were regular cycling to become less popular. I actually think the reverse is true anyway, and electric bikes will cause a huge uptake in cycling and more importantly, reduced car usage.

Top Bottom