Cycling Proficiency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Should a child be allowed to use a Brox to do this?

I've offered to ride it over to their house & they'll take it to school. A few short hills to go up & the school is near to them than me.

Balancing on it whilst stationary shouldn't be a problem. So stopping & looking behind shouldn't be a problem.
Roughly the same height on the road as some car drivers, so it lends itself to an alternate view of the road.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don`t see why not unless the school has a particular definition of a cycle.

Could they use a trike or a kickbike?

If this is a serious question, maybe you should contact the school.

Steve

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I don`t see why not unless the school has a particular definition of a cycle.

Could they use a trike or a kickbike?

If this is a serious question, maybe you should contact the school.

Steve

Serious question. Asked because those who would be running the scheme appear to have a narrow view of what actually constitutes a pedal cycle.

The insistance being that they(pedal cycles) have no more than two wheels, handlebars that are in front of the rider & ridden in an upright posistion. Anything else isn't a pedal cycle for the purpose of the course.

akb

Veteran
IME, the cycling proficiency test was developed for two wheels. Not only does the CP go through Road Etiquette and use, but also how to comfortably control a 2 wheeled bicycle on the road. Thats what it was when I did it approx 10 yrs ago. Maybe worth as mentioned above contacting the school or the course organiser.
Are you intending to lend a bike to a course attendee? Seems a bit strange that a kid is put through CP when they dont have to access to their own bike IMO. The CP that I did also went through basic bicycle pre ride checks and adjustments. Brake adjustment etc. This tells me that the course attendee should have their own bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why should it be limited to 2 wheels, unless we are saying that any pedal powered vehicle which has more than two wheels shouldn't be on the road. I think they should be included, and I know a friends daughter with balance issues that did it (well Bikeability here that my kids have done) on a tricycle.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
They have access to their own bikes, which some are expected to lend to those who don't have their own, or access to one for the course.

summerdays has it right as far as I'm concerned. Why should only "conventional" bicyles, two wheeled uprights be considered as fit for the course.
On the maintenance/pre-cycle checks using four wheels instead of two brings its own set of problems & extra checks to be carried out before taking it out.

The Brox has been used by the person I will be lending it to & has been ridden on the road by the same person. The only area they are unhappy with are the few short 1 in 7 & 1 in 5 hills between my house and theirs.

What I do know is that the local council, under who's umbrella the CP scheme is worked, were suprised to be told that a bike had independent braking. Seperate front & rear brakes.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think that they expect it to be done on 2 wheels probably because the syllabus is that outdated.

Look at PBP, it is being done on recumbents, trikes, kickbikes and unicycles now. That type of bike has been around for years but have only become popular in recent times.

Maybe you need to get above the school and find the governing body who supplies the syllabus to the school.

Steve

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Why should only "conventional" bicycles, two wheeled uprights be considered as fit for the course.

if the course was designed for conventional two wheel bikes then i makes perfect sense... would you argue that one should also be allowed to take driving lessons and a test in a pedal car?

Linford

I would think that unless the child has mobility or balance issues, it would be a bad idea.

On top of this, making a 10 year old stand out from the crowd is not very cool unless they are sat on what their peers consider to be a very cool bike. A Brox looks a bit like something they were bought for their 4th birthday in ToysRus.

I recall doing mine on my sisters folder, and when the plod inspected all our bikes in the playground, the front wheel of it fell off :laugh: - I can look back and laugh now, but other kids latch onto these things and took the pee (alot). I can remember feeling fairly embarrassed at the time.

Reactions: akb
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
if the course was designed for conventional two wheel bikes then i makes perfect sense... would you argue that one should also be allowed to take driving lessons and a test in a pedal car?

Given that one, in your response, is a motor vehicle & the other is not there can be no proper comparison. But what allowed to being able to see the road from the perspective of a two wheeled motorist. Moped, scooter, small motorbike, would be a more direct comparison. Both types being IC powered vehicles.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I would think that unless the child has mobility or balance issues, it would be a bad idea.

On top of this, making a 10 year old stand out from the crowd is not very cool unless they are sat on what their peers consider to be a very cool bike. A Brox looks a bit like something they were bought for their 4th birthday in ToysRus.

I recall doing mine on my sisters folder, and when the plod inspected all our bikes in the playground, the front wheel of it fell off :laugh: - I can look back and laugh now, but other kids latch onto these things and took the pee (alot). I can remember feeling fairly embarrassed at the time.

What is wrong with a Brox as a pedal cycle. ToyRus have nothing like it.

How would you view an ICE Trike or Windcheetah, given your view of the Brox. ToysRus do something like them, designed for kids. Two wheels at the front, one at the rear, but built with kids in mind.

Linford

What is wrong with a Brox as a pedal cycle. ToyRus have nothing like it.

How would you view an ICE Trike or Windcheetah, given your view of the Brox. ToysRus do something like them, designed for kids. Two wheels at the front, one at the rear, but built with kids in mind.

I'm a grown up (some say ^_^), so I can fully appreciate the utility value of a Brox, but we are talking about 10 year old kids here.
10 year old kids can be total peanuts who can and do look for the differences in others, and use these to demean them.

I remember how the kids in my year behaved when I was in school, and I saw how my kids school mates behaved at that age.

For that reason, unless your 10 year old said 'Dad, can I use the Brox for the cycling proficiency', I'd personally not encourage it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sometimes kids pick on a kid being different ... not following the trend, and sometimes they are fascinated and interested by it. My son hasn't got a scooter like most of his mates, and last time they were allowed to bring them into school he took in his Ripstick Caster board instead - everyone wanted a go. They are also intrigued by his bike with dropped handlebars which is the only one in his primary school. Depends whether they look like they are having fun on it.

Top Bottom