Cycling pros and gods I need your help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nb1

Regular
Hi all,

I'm new to this so a bit of background I'm currently going through a bit of turmoil and long story short my friend has very kindly donated his old old old road bike for commuting he said it needs some work doing to it.

The bike is a specialized allez sport compact he says it's a 2011 model.

It has a shimano sora 3500 groupset which is totally screwed and needs replacing. Now the problem is I am flat out broke and unfortunately can't even afford to replace this groupset heartbreaking I know considering it's a Low end groupset but that's the situation.

So getting on to the question can anyone recommend the cheapest decent groupset I could get u I mean I don't even care if it doesn't have the shifters although there cool so it would be cool to keep these I don't mind if it's super old groupset like I say I will literally be biking around 25m for work a day for a while nothing competetive, it's a relatively flat route so I don't need like 30 gears. I just need to get this bike up and running for as cheap as possible ( bare in mind the sora was out of my range ) if anyone has anything for sale that might be of use let me know please and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20190606-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20190606-WA0002.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 46

vickster

Legendary Member
2011 really isn’t very old :laugh:

If your riding is flat or you’re fit, maybe you could convert to single speed?

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
To be honest the extra olds where aimed at the condition haha I have have seen a shimano tourney a070 6 piece group set which I could probably stretch for its £150 and than get it fitted. Do you think this is viable guessing it should be if converting to a single speed is? Thanks for your responce BTW

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Forget the term 'groupset'. Your bike is a selection of components, some of which might require maintenance or replacement. You need to check closely what is and what isn't working and why.

2011 really isn’t very old :laugh:

If your riding is flat or you’re fit, maybe you could convert to single speed?

It'll have vertical dropouts, so single-speed would be problematic.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As long as you can do the work, ebay is your friend. People are always upgrading and selling off the old for whatever they can get. Choose carefully and you could get some nice gear for a song. You don't have to buy 'a groupset' - you can pick up the bits you need bit by bit. Good luck.

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
I did think about buying different bits honestly I think back derailleur is the only thing that needs replacing. My friend said the hanger sheered off while he was riding it was never the same when he replaced the hanger. I think he just wanted to upgrade his bike haha. I'm no expert but the rear derailleur looks bent to me and the chain seems too long

I was thinking to change both of these but for the chain and the derailleur it's like 40 pound but if this isn't the issue or and I end up replacing cassettes I might quickly be spending similar to what the shimano tourney set is costing

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
What's wrong with it, it might be cheaper and easier than you think, if we know, we can advise.
The rear derailleur looks visible bent I can take pictures tonight the gears don't change smoothly and it is constantly clicking when you do change I know this can be adjusted I have done work on normal mountain bikes and been successful but these road bike shifter gears are daunting they might be just as simple but I don't know where to start or weather to strip it down replace the derailleur and try to build it back up from there, at the moment it can't be ride so I guess I can't really make it much worse haha

vickster

Legendary Member
Forget the term 'groupset'. Your bike is a selection of components, some of which might require maintenance or replacement. You need to check closely what is and what isn't working and why.

It'll have vertical dropouts, so single-speed would be problematic.
I still think it can be possible?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll bet there isn't a lot wrong with it that a good service won't sort. You would be amazed at what can be perfectly useable once cleaned, lubricated and adjusted correctly.

As has been said, 2011 isn't an old bike at all and Sora is good reliable stuff, even if it isn't as sexy and desirable as the more expensive kit.

Some better pictures and a list of faults will help us advise you on what might, or more likely might not, need replacing.

alicat

Legendary Member
My newest bike was made in 2009 and I'm not planning on replacing it any time soon. Tell us what's wrong and we can help you figure out what needs fixing.

OP
OP
Nb1

Nb1

Regular
Yeah the bike looks super nice despite expected cosmetic damage tonight I'm going to take some good pictures and and we can diagnose it I'll be more than happy if it's just a case elbow grease and a new rear derailleur. Thanks every body so far for your input glad I've been deterred from buying the group set so far!!

I will upload pics at around 5pm

nickAKA

Über Member
As above - a bit of tinkering will probably solve 90% of the issues, it looks complicated it isn't really - once you have the required knowledge - so ask on here about specific issues, have a look on youtube and just see what you can achieve with next to no spend before you blow money on bits you probably don't need.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I still think it can be possible?

Oh yes. You'd need a combination of chainring/rear sprocket sized to give a reasonably taut chain, or a chain-tensioner. Neither of these would be suitable for fixed-wheel. Or an eccentric rear hub (made by White Industries, I think) to allow tensioning.

Top Bottom