Cycling related glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought I'd show off this bowl. I made it using an old 5 speed freewheel block, which I covered with white coloured glass powder. I picked the white up onto the molten glass then covered it with blue, and opened it out so the pattern is on the inside. And yes, it is a bit wonky. I made several, but this was the best.

I also experimented with bike chains, but with less success.
full.jpg

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some Tour de France themed glass. Goblets in yellow/green/white and polka dot, plus a yellow/green vase with polka dot base.
full.jpg

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Producing nice stuff depends on what techniques you use and how much help you are prepared to accept. Once you're used to basic handling of the tools you can produce nice non-blown stuff like paperweights quite easily. Which isn't to say that paperweights are necessarily "easy" there are always more difficult techniques to challenge - difficult paperweights with precise flowers and so on are extremely hard!

Blowing is the next step and it's not really difficult to produce decent small stuff. Then you get to challenge yourself with more difficult techniques - What was really hard about the pieces above was putting the feet on the goblets, as they are made separately. It's like that cycling quote about it not getting easier, you just go faster. It doesn't get easier, you just blow bigger and more complex pieces.

Our first ever course was with Peter Layton in London. We got to take home some really nice stuff from that, but knowing what we now know we realise that the amount of help we must have received was very high. (And Peter Layton is more expensive than Adam!)

We've been doing it for about 8 years now and are at the point where we don't need help except for rescues and disasters (picking things up off the floor!, completely losing control of a large piece).

Yes it's expensive. Or at least it can be. Adam's prices are on his website.

You're right about watching glassblowers. We were at the Kosta Boda factory in Sweden a couple of years ago watching the wine glass production line. It's mesmeric.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I do like glass though my heart lays with ceramics in particular studio pottery. However i have done classes in copperfoil glass for the last 18 months. It's thoroughly enjoyable but at 2hrs a week never long enough and it's not something i am able to do at home unlike my other crafts.

Your bowl is beautiful @Dogtrousers , do you sell your creations?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I do like glass though my heart lays with ceramics in particular studio pottery. However i have done classes in copperfoil glass for the last 18 months. It's thoroughly enjoyable but at 2hrs a week never long enough and it's not something i am able to do at home unlike my other crafts.

Blondie had a heart of glass, Hill Wimp has a heart of clay ....

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I've "sold" some stuff through Age Concern. We are thinking about selling, but never get around to doing anything about it. The best pieces are most saleable, and they are the ones we want to keep!

Top Bottom