"Cycling routes" on Google Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm always interested in looking for new routes to explore on the bikes, but I've noticed that Google Maps can't be relied on when it comes to highlighting cycling routes (click on the bicycling option in the menu).

This highlights the supposed cycle routes on the map, but certainly around where I live it is incredibly inaccurate.
NCN 66 doesn't seem to feature, although bits of it are shown as "dirt / unpaved trail" or dedicated lane but other sections of it aren't marked at all and none of it is highlighted as an NCN - a fairly major point when asking for cycling routes, surely?
Several public footpaths (where cycling isn't allowed) are marked as "dirt / unpaved trail", which is also used on fully paved routes like the Wyke Beck Way. Equally completely off road bridleways are marked as "bicycle friendly roads", with the same definition also used on busy roads - meaning that people not familiar to the area could find themselves on a quite traffic free bridleway, or on a 60 mph road with nothing to differentiate between them on the map.

I know you can use OS / Streetmap for this, but given the number of people who are likely to use Google and nothing else, it really is a bit poor.

... given the number of people who are likely to use Google and nothing else, it really is a bit poor.
Comes of relying on a software algorithm, I suspect. Not very integrated with itself!

Go one way - show cycle routes and you get (I suspect) the local council's listing of cycle lanes and tracks superimposed. Go another way, and ask for directions - and the result ignores the lanes and off-road tracks!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
@hopless500 and i used Google maps on our summer tour around Holland and Belgium last year. It was excellent apart from one spectacular route through the narrowest forest path ever . Once we had learnt to trust the instructions all went well. We had it talking to us as we cycled. I was so impressed with it i use it at home both for cycling new routes and driving.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Funny the OP should be so dissatisfied; my neighbour used Google Maps to cycle from Lancashire to Devon for a wedding and said it took him down some smashing routes.

Top Bottom