Cycling Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bit of a strange survey.... Seems you can cycle to work but not back again, and the last question is completely random..... I mean if I had the money I might buy some more police to make the roads safer? Or pay for improvements to the justice system....

Shaun

Founder
Odd survey, and the final question is impossible to answer properly:
If there were a product that would improve the safety of cyclists, would you buy it?
  • Yes
  • No
Buy what? Does it relate to your choice of username? Is it some sort of re-working of current helmet design or is a new idea on "protective" headgear? Maybe a different kind of safety product?

More detail would be useful. Are you designing a product for a college/uni project or retail sale? Why only London?

Also, the answers to how safe you feel don't include an 'Always' option. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can't view the survey from that link. Is it just me?

survey fail.jpg

GC

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I can't view the survey from that link. Is it just me?

View attachment 112882

GC
It's working for me (using Chrome) but, having having managed to answer the first question about gender, I hit a block with the what time of day I cycled. As I often cycle with the aim of getting somewhere regardless of time, not with what time I need to get there, it can be any time of the day or night, but that wasn't an option. (Either an additional box for any time, a mostly cycle box, or allow multiple replies. When sorted, I'll return.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OK, please complete this list of problems:
  • Announcement username @All for Helmets is likely to bias responses, probably polarising with a skew towards wearers
  • Self-selected respondents and no indication of weighting
  • Non-exhaustive single-choice options (multiple questions), such as "6am-9am" and "10am-1pm", so what if you feel the answer is 9.20-9.40am?
  • "How safe..." answered with a list of frequencies, not levels of safety
  • "Pick a statement" answered with a list of adjectives, not statements
  • Use of word "accident" excludes other collision types
  • "did [road cycling accident] involve the following" only allows one answer when it could involve multiple
  • No "don't know" and "maybe" options for the final question
  • No link to research ethics or privacy policy or anything like that
  • No contact link in case of problems
A while ago, in another context, I wrote http://people.debian.org/~mjr/surveys about these sorts of problems.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That was a rubbish survey. One of the questions had multiple choice answers that had nothing to do with the question. It seems that you can commute to work but not back again (teleporting maybe).

Yes @All for Helmets, I do wear a lid (I am sure that you are an avid pro helmet person) but when I feel like it. I don't always wear it.
I think that you should go and have a rewrite of your survey as it's not very good. 2/10

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's working for me (using Chrome) but, having having managed to answer the first question about gender, I hit a block with the what time of day I cycled. As I often cycle with the aim of getting somewhere regardless of time, not with what time I need to get there, it can be any time of the day or night, but that wasn't an option. (Either an additional box for any time, a mostly cycle box, or allow multiple replies. When sorted, I'll return.)

Thanks, I can view it now and it wasn't worth the effort.

GC

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
  • "did [road cycling accident] involve the following" only allows one answer when it could involve multiple
Or indeed none. If we assume that the respondent on their bike is not included as it is implicit. Cyclist hits pothole/other road hazard and falls off. Cyclist overcooks bend and falls off. No one else involved - but the wording of the survey isn't clear.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom