Cycling shoes, where do I even start!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
I am very lost. Looking at some cheap Muddyfox shoes from Sport-Direct, now I have no idea what I need, there's SPD, SPD FL, cleats?...

The shoes are
http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-rbs100-mens-cycling-shoes-144025
Pedals: Wellgo w/ toeclip
Bike: 2014 Giant Rapid 3

Thanks
Luke

SPD SL - 3bolt

If you want cheap try ebay, exustar, these are look copies.

or

Shimano r540 SPD SL

Both above should come with cleats

AndyRM

XOXO
SPD is generally for mountain bikes and will be double sided, which makes it easier to clip in and out.

SPD SL is usually one sided and road bike oriented. Not quite as easy to clip in and out.

There are variants by manufacturer, Look, Time, Speedplay etc, but at a basic level you can ignore these.

Personally I'd not bother with the MuddyFox efforts.

For a bit more you can get a full set of shoes, clips and cleats here http://www.merlincycles.com/rexton-road-shoes-look-keo-flex-pedals-62869.html

There may be an SPD deal available too.

Peteaud

Veteran

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
SPD SL - 3bolt

If you want cheap try ebay, exustar, these are look copies..........
If you buy 2nd hand pedals off ebay make sure they come with cleats. Some people buy new pedals cheap to get new cleats then sell on the old pedals without. Cleats sell for about £15 but pedals and cleats for about £20 if you look around.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Are you commuting with the bike? If so, SPD is likely to be better as you can walk properly in the shoes. MTB or Touring shoes would do the job.

If not, SPD-SL / Look Keo / Exustar etc...

vickster

Legendary Member
When you get the shoes and cleats, use online guides to set them up properly or you could be on a fast track to sore feet, knees, hips etc

OP
OP
P

PLuKE

Firstly thank you very much for your info!

I feel better informed!

I don't mind which setup SPD or SPD FL. I think the first would be better. At least I can walk in them, but I don't think I would need to so much really.

So open to either.
Luke

Top Bottom