Cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Looking for a pair of cycling shoes that look normal off the bike and I don't use cleats, I normally use flat double sided pedals, just looking for something lighter and stiffer than I have at the moment and not got a big budget

D

Deleted member 1258

Use Shimano SPD shoes and don't fit cleats.

vickster

Legendary Member
Use Shimano SPD shoes and don't fit cleats.
The cleat covers can be a bit slippery

5 Ten worth a look although they’re not cheap

I actually just use Adidas trail shoes on the bike, light, breathable, stiffer grippier soles than a plimsoll or running type trainer. Job done.
Plenty of similar exist and sportshoes.com or similar often have reductions

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wear Bontrager SSR Multi Sport shoes. They do take 2-bolt cleats but you don't have to fit them. I've had my current pair for about 7 years and they are still going fine, (Now on their second pair of laces and were subject to a bodge-mend about 2 years ago when the cleat bolts started to stick into my foot on one side)
1653902646005.png

nickb

Guru
Chrome Panaracer.

You can get them for SPDs or flats. I love mine!

The one on the right. The other is my 25-year-old Lake SPD shoe
Shoes.jpg

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Five tens are good. I wear mine all the time for general use as well as on the bike

Petrichorwheels

check out walking shoes with Vibram soles.
from the likes of Mountain warehouse.
If using dedicated cycling shoes with the option of using cleats and you never intend to use cleats, I'd glue down any cleat cover or at least make sure that it is firmly screwed down - sometimes the cover detaches.
Also worth keeping an eye out for Lidl and Aldi specials on walking shoes or cycling shoes - sometimes they do good firm soled shoes for under £20.
Also worth keeping a look out on ebay for vibram soled shoes second-hand.
I recently got a pair of shimano thingies, "used" but clearly not worn, for £20.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If using dedicated cycling shoes with the option of using cleats and you never intend to use cleats, I'd glue down any cleat cover or at least make sure that it is firmly screwed down - sometimes the cover detaches.
I had to take a Stanley knife to my Bontrager SSRs to cut open the hole for the cleats. It was a bit unnerving, hacking away at brand new shoes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Also worth keeping an eye out for Lidl and Aldi specials on walking shoes or cycling shoes - sometimes they do good firm soled shoes for under £20.

The "middle of Lidl" special offers tend to be very good for what they cost. I've got 3 pairs of their outdoor footwear, first two were about £14 a pop, the last pair cost me just a fiver out of the orange sticker reduced bin after the promotion ended and they had a few large sized pairs left over.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
After looking at a few I bought a pair of Muddy Fox cycling shoes from Sports direct, there a trainer type shoe with a good stiff sole look and walk ok of the bike very comfortable and with a removable plate for cleats if needed £37.99 so reasonably priced.

Top Bottom