Cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Ive been putting off going clipless for what seems like forever but eventually i think i have decided to give it a go ........Wiggle are doing some road shoes for 35quid they are DHB R1 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360033177&n=dhb dhb R1 Shoes i thought at 35 quid they are cheap enough to stop using if i cant get use to them!!

I was just wondering about sizes, i have heard a few people saying that you should get a size larger than what you normally wear when you buy road shoes ....is that correct?? i dont want to end up slipping out of them cos ive bought to big a size.

SamNichols

1) Are you definitely sure that you want to go down the road shoe route? For £40 they have these Shimano MTB shoes. They're good shoes, and are well worth the money (i had them before I got my Northwave road shoes). I swapped MTB for road shoes, and to be honest I wish that I hadn't, they're harder to clip in and out, you can't walk on them. Mountain Bike cleats are far easier to get to grips with.
2) About the sizing issue, each manufacturer varies: I am a 9/10 in real life, and have been an 11 in shimano shoes and a 10 in Northwave.

All in all, unless you're dead set on Road shoes and compete, then don't bother: a decent pair of MTB shoes and pedals are a great investment. Also, try Cyclexpress, who do decent value pedal/shoe starter packs. I speak as someone who used to use shimano mtb pedals and swapped for Look Keo's. I wish that I hadn't bothered.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Cheers Sam .....i think a trip to the LBS is in order then to try out road against mountain....i just naturally assumed that as i had a road bike then i would need road shoes........looks like im the dimwit again.

SamNichols

You're not being a dimwit, the natural choice one would come to is that the road system would be the best option. Unless you're doing purely road riding, then I would advise against it, that's all. If you're a commuter, then I would definitely advise against it and would say get an MTB system. Cyclexpress have the MO75 with a pair of Shimano pedals for £65, a good price.

monnet

Guru
To add my tuppence, as someone who has always used road shoes (including for commuting), get down to the LBS and try a few pairs on. Once you get used to road shoes they are much better when riding, you have a far greater contact point with the pedal making for a greater power transfer when pedalling.

My experience with cycling shoes is that the fit can only be gauged by trying before buying. I don't know how it works with MTB style shoes but I would caution you to buy the absolute best you can afford. Cleats are a ball ache to fit, especially on your second pair of shoes so you want to delay the inevitable for as long as possible. I bought my second pair of shoes in 12 years this sumer just gone and I've no intention of buying anymore for another good few years.

domtyler

Über Member
Hate MTB style pedals and shoes, they give lots of problems with your feet, hot foot, muscle aches, tingling and numbness etc. if you ride for longer than half an hour. Efficiency and power transfer is also very disappointing.

If you want to use your cycling shoes for proper walking and are more of a pootler than a speed merchant though or you are older and/or less confident on a bike then they may be more suited than road systems.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have recently gone back to SPDs on both bikes and I disagree that they are less efficient than road pedals. It is all down to the shoes, if the sole is stiff enough there will be no problems. Many people who try SPDs buy cheap leisure shoes and that is where the problems arise.

Remember that before clipless people used thin leather soled shoes which only rested on the two edges of the pedal cage, each less than 2mm thick and set 2 1/2" apart. Nobody climbed off have way up a mountain pass because their feet were aching.

monnet

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Remember that before clipless people used thin leather soled shoes which only rested on the two edges of the pedal cage, each less than 2mm thick and set 2 1/2" apart. Nobody climbed off have way up a mountain pass because their feet were aching.

I think they usually had thin wooden soles didn't they? Or at least the half decent ones did.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
monnet said:
I think they usually had thin wooden soles didn't they? Or at least the half decent ones did.
I think wooden soled shoes were used at some point, but leather was the material of choice. I have never actually seen a pair of wooden soled cycling shoes.

Tynan

Veteran
I been using spd on mtb shoes for commuting for six months and have got on fine with them

Just this weekend fitted spd cleats to a pair of Diadora road shoes and experienced the joy of walking in them and grinding into the floorboards, tiles etc, wish I'd got mtb version now

but the cleats seem fine to me, not that I've ever tried any other system

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
I been using spd on mtb shoes for commuting for six months and have got on fine with them

Just this weekend fitted spd cleats to a pair of Diadora road shoes and experienced the joy of walking in them and grinding into the floorboards, tiles etc, wish I'd got mtb version now

but the cleats seem fine to me, not that I've ever tried any other system

Such a troll! :blush:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
GTGF, take a look at Merlin Cycles - they were doing some good deals on pedal + shoes setups not so long ago. I got Shimano MT40s plus M520 pedals for £50 delivered. They had some offers on Diadora shoes with the same pedals, but not my size.

yenrod

got-to-get-fit said:
Ive been putting off going clipless for what seems like forever but eventually i think i have decided to give it a go ........Wiggle are doing some road shoes for 35quid they are DHB R1 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360033177&n=dhb dhb R1 Shoes i thought at 35 quid they are cheap enough to stop using if i cant get use to them!!

I was just wondering about sizes, i have heard a few people saying that you should get a size larger than what you normally wear when you buy road shoes ....is that correct?? i dont want to end up slipping out of them cos ive bought to big a size.

1 - dont get a smaller size !

2 - these look great !

3 - great value !

Cycling offers a shoe diferent ride a characteristics than anormal shoe so you can get the same. Ive got an old pair of sidi's (size7) my usual pavement shoe is 8 I wear a size 9 in work (steel toe cap)...dont get BIGGER ! They'll flap around on your foot and you'll waste energy !

What you need to do though is check a euro shoe sized guide:

http://www.geocities.com/handy_feet/shoesize.html

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

yello

Just to confuse matters further, the fit may differ from one manufacturer to another - even though they'll all say they're the same size! For example, my Shimanos are 42, so are my Scotts - but they are a wider shoe and my Pearl Izumis are 41 and fit well. I use this to my benefit though depending on what socks I am wearing. For instance, I can get thicker, winter socks on with the Scotts. The PIs are a summer shoe anyway so that works for me.

Top Bottom