Cycling Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is it the shorts or your saddle? If you read around on this forum you'll find lots on saddle adjustment, you can move it fore and aft, up and down and tilt it, all three adjustments will affect your comfort on the bike. If you haven't got that bit right, no shorts will make you feel comfortable.

Generally padded saddles are not a brilliant idea because your sit bones will sink into the saddle and the padding will put pressure on soft tissue, which will get sweaty and will rub. However you won't be able to tolerate a properly firm saddle until you get the position right. Look at Charge saddles, they are becoming very popular because they're a good shape but apart from thin surface padding they are actually quite firm.

Charge saddles

If you are using gel shorts it's possible the gel is giving you the same problems as a gel saddle. Good value shorts are the dhb brand, which belongs to Wiggle, here: dhb they are affordable, well made and comfortable. Get a bib short; the shoulder straps will hold it in place and prevent the back from pulling down as you ride.

Is it the shorts or your saddle? If you read around on this forum you'll find lots on saddle adjustment, you can move it fore and aft, up and down and tilt it, all three adjustments will affect your comfort on the bike. If you haven't got that bit right, no shorts will make you feel comfortable.

Generally padded saddles are not a brilliant idea because your sit bones will sink into the saddle and the padding will put pressure on soft tissue, which will get sweaty and will rub. However you won't be able to tolerate a properly firm saddle until you get the position right. Look at Charge saddles, they are becoming very popular because they're a good shape but apart from thin surface padding they are actually quite firm.

Charge saddles

If you are using gel shorts it's possible the gel is giving you the same problems as a gel saddle. Good value shorts are the dhb brand, which belongs to Wiggle, here: dhb they are affordable, well made and comfortable. Get a bib short; the shoulder straps will hold it in place and prevent the back from pulling down as you ride.

thanks Ive ordered the dhb shorts - its not the saddle I have a top quality Bontager saddle - and have used all the correct procedures to position it
correctly

looe

Endura all day...............
thumbsup.png

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im experiencing problems with gel padded cycling shorts - without going into details ( I believe you know what I mean )

can anyone tell me what the best type of are

LEIGH

Theres several problems that can occur in the shorts region. Dont be so bashful Leigh.They have all been covered on here before.

If its the numb genitals issue its possible your saddle needs adjusting or replacing. I changed mine for a Richie Bio Saddle and no further problem (It has a central slot to relieve pressure in that area).

Dont let numbness continue ,apparently it can cause permanent damage .

PS congratulations on completing the ride.On long rides I find standing on the pedals getting out of the saddle , stretching my legs while giving the arse a rest helps.

Top Bottom