Cycling somewhere with a destination...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
...is so much more satisfying than just going round in a circle! On the rare occasions I've used the bike to reach somewhere I've enjoyed the ride and the arrival much more. This includes doing a really long ride then getting a lift home by car or train.

Yesterday we recced a flat family ride along the seafront from ghastly Blackpool to Fleetwood, about 8 miles. (It was COLD!) You can then cross the river Wyre on a foot ferry and carry on along pleasant coastal defence tracks and paths right up to Glasson Dock and on via an old railway track into Lancaster and beyond. You can do it in the direction that suits the wind and there are several places to stop for tea. I'm planning to do it this summer with my cycling pal and our wives and kids; somehow we've got to work out how we can make it a one way trip and come home in two cars. That's the hard bit. Will probably involve us two drivers peeling off after the ferry and racing back to Blackpool to pick up the cars then driving to the finish.

snorri

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
...is so much more satisfying than just going round in a circle!
Very true, but I prefer to take the train for the outward portion of the trip making the cycling home more relaxed as there are no time pressures.

BigSteev

You could pop in and say hello to my mum after you've got off the ferry! :evil:

If you have access to 3 cars, you could drive up before hand and leave 2 at your finish point.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah - I like to feel I'm going somewhere when I ride. I have a friend who seems happy to pedal round in circles until it's time to peel off to the cafe. Does my head in - I haven't been anywhere. My cafe stops ARE the destinations and are chosen to be at a suitable ride distance. His are local ones.........

Norm

I feel a strange sense of achievement if I've gone somewhere or done something by bike rather than by car. Signing on, commuting, visiting friends, getting the shopping, popping out for a coffee, whatever, it feels better travelling by bike (within reason, of course!).

So, whilst I love riding for the ride as well as for the destination, if I have a reason to go somewhere, it does feel good.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My rides usually have a destination - often a cafe or a pub.
Sometimes I do just go out for an hour or two and head in random directions. There aren't many roads within 20 miles of me I haven't been along now.
Even those rides can end up having a destination - it's just I didn't know I was going there till I arrived, if you see what I mean.

darkstar

this is a strange time for me to post this, considering i've recently come back from cycling 20 laps of a hill in liverpool at midnight in the rain. But i agree, I enjoy planning a route the day before, having a target destination in mind, i also enjoy having no clue how to get there, just following road signs and heading down whatever road i like the look of!

darkstar said:
this is a strange time for me to post this, considering i've recently come back from cycling 20 laps of a hill in liverpool at midnight in the rain. But i agree, I enjoy planning a route the day before, having a target destination in mind, i also enjoy having no clue how to get there, just following road signs and heading down whatever road i like the look of!

I hate doing that. I have to know where I am all the time, otherwise it's no fun at all for me. I think it comes of being a truck driver.

darkstar

Rhythm Thief said:
I hate doing that. I have to know where I am all the time, otherwise it's no fun at all for me. I think it comes of being a truck driver.
I have to know the general location, just like to have an idea of villages/towns i need to aim for! :smile:

So do you like to map the route out before hand, or do you have a fancy gps?

Top Bottom