Cycling the A52 from Stoke on Trent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
NO idea where I should post this - feel free to move if anyone knows better.

I'm off to a hen do in June in the middle of nowhere. The bash is in a house in the middle of nowhere and the nearest train stations are about 20 miles away. Stoke on Trent is the nearest. I'm thinking about cycling from Stoke to the do!

Viamichelin has advised I cycle the A52 from Stoke out towards Ashbourne - the house is in the countryside off the A52. Can anyone advise what the A52 would be like to cycle on a Friday night? Some A roads are fine, others are scary busy. Any alternative routes from Stoke to Ashbourne?

Congleton would be another potential station. Any views?

Ta muchly

Globalti

Legendary Member
How near are those stations to Nowhere?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Maps just don't give you that kind of info. There are A roads in Leeds I'd be very comfy cycling and others you'd never catch me on. Will try streetview though, good idea.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You'd be best off asking domd1979 I'd have thought. The A52 isn't the best of A-roads but as you're a confident cyclist I'd think you'd be all right, I don't view it as that pleasant. Bits of the road have suffered from safety concerns in the past. Some of the other alternative roads can be appalling round there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know that road but if you want an alternative start position why not get on the train line that goes through Uttoxeter and then cycle from one of those stations (not necessarily Uttoxeter - I only know that bit as that's where the In-Law's live - off there today) along that route.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Summerdays, you gorgeous creature, thank you!!! If I start in Uttoxeter, it's little country lanes all the way!! Sorted, thanks so much! Booking my train ticket now!!

TVC

I realise that a hen do in Ashbourne is likely to be a weekend of girl-beer and debauchery, but if you do sober up long enough then I really recommend a gentle ride out on the Tissington Trail.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/hptisstrails.pdf

RedBike

The A52 is fine. I ride it when I want to add extra miles onto my commute. It is seriously hilly though!

Uttoxeter to Ashbourne is a quick wide B road. I think bits of it might even be a duel caridgeway. Its certainly a main road that links JCBs factories and the A50/Motorways. You can ride down this road but don't expect a quite country lane.

Glad you got sorted Cathryn (was about to ask my Dad who knows the area very well indeed) but recommend using maps.google.co.uk over ViaMichelin. It's my personal preference but it gives you street views as one of the guys above mentioned so it gives you more information from being able to look at the road (eg shows that most if not all the A52 is single carriageway not dial). That route would also take you through Froghall which has a notorious and nice leg testing steep bank...though where exactly I can't recall.

If you go here you will see your Utt'er to Ashbourne route and be able to get road views by using the yellow person symbol above the zoom bar, on the left hand area of the map. You can also ask Google maps also for alternatives like walking and public transport and alternative driving / cycling routes. Apologies if telling you lots of stuff you know.

If you'd like a restaurant recommendation there's a very good one in Waterhouses which is just up the road from Ashbourne - just let me know and will confirm the name.

RedBike

The A52 only has two lanes coming out of Hanley. I think theres a 30mph limit with cameras along these sections. Its certainly not a quick road and it is perfectly rideable.
The section from Froghall to Wiston is very steep. Although the road is up and down all the way. If you don't like hills you wont like this road. The further you get along this road the less traffic you'll find on it.

I work in Stoke, Used to live in Ashbourne and my ex lives in Uttoxeter. Spent months riding between these three towns.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would possible avoid the Alton Towers area at kicking out time... well the main route ... but there are is a lovely wooded road around there.

Top Bottom