Cycling The Thames Thames Path V Sustrans 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

The Rebellion place is a bit of a pain to get to from the river, the High Street and A4155 are not good places to take a group - although I love riding along the High Street solo as the traffic is usually moving much slower than I do. :biggrin:

Besides, I prefer Brakspear in Henley. :biggrin:

I'll see if I can get out this weekend to scout it from Cookham to Marlow and possibly on to Henley. :thumbsup:

Brains

Legendary Member
I've ridden this route a number of times.
We live on the river at Greenwich, my brother lives on the river at Putney, and we have good friends who live on the river beyond Dartford.
We have also ridden to Bath along the K&A canal

To cap it all my wife won't ride on roads with cars, so I have followed the Thames cycle route very closley.

It is ridable all the way on a touring bike, maybe not on a pure road bike though
You need to ride it a couple of times to get to know the route as it squiggles and wiggles
You need to be able to read a map (well. And have a bar bag to put it in)
Most of the route is on the south side of the river, there is a point around Kew when it's on the north, but mostly it's south

The big deviations away from the river that I remember are;
The bit around the River Cray near Dartford (A bridge is due to be built for the Millenium, which millenium ??)
The bit downstream of the Thames Barrier (a scrap yard that will not grant access, and Boris can't make them)
The bit around Battersea Powerstation
I'm sure there were others

OP
OP
D

Disco Bike

Hey guys, once again thansk for all the input. I've been looking into it further and basically the Sustrans route 4 does deviate significantly from the path. The Thames path according to maps does seem to run all the way along, but may be difficult to cycle due to not being allowed/there being obstructions to bikes/ rubbish paths. However we plan to try and go with the Sustrans route which stays close to the Thames although not on it, as a back up. Best thing to do if anyone else ever wants todo this in the future is to order the sustrans map from their website. It's very helpful. Thanks, Disco.

TigCshaff

I found this thread when planning to cycle the Thames- and the following may be of use.....its now March 2019, so a few years on!
The idea was to see how far we could comfortably cycle in a day, as planning to cycle the Eurovelo from the source of the Rhine.

Figured 25-30 miles a good starting point, so booked an overnight stay at Egham.
We live in Marlow, and intended to catch the train to Richmond and cycle the Thames path back, but Marlow to Reading demands a few changes, and needed to book bikes in advance. There are only 2 bike spaces and they were taken-it was Feb half term and great weather so not surprising.

Instead, we cycled from home to LONDON.
Now, I may be speaking out of turn, and walkers will undoubtably disagree, but cycling the river path from Marlow to Windsor is doeable. Take the minor road behind All Saints Chuch in Marlow-the big steeple church by Bisham bridge, and the road passes the lock, and weaves through a housing estate. Pass over a large field to your right and under a bridge and you're on the river bank. There are fields to cycle across on route to Bourne End, and the railway bridge to carry your bike across after Boune End marina, swing gate styles to squeeze your bike through, and sections through sailing clubs and housing where signs ask to dismount. Otherwise, I haven't been asked not to cycle by passing walkers. It's a beautiful, scenic, quintessential English setting, and a shame to stick to the roads.
We did decide to cycle by road along side of the river from Cookham to Taplow, just because I remember there being little wriggle room along the path, and we were getting a bit fed up of sloshing about in mud at the stiles.
The river road, over Taplow bridge takes you via Bray along the Thames, Dorney Lake and new Windsor. The cycle route suggest to follow the Jubilee river, and its a pleasant cycle, but again I've never had difficulties or objections cycling the former route.
From Windsor to Egham, I searched every way to continue the river, but it seemed impossible, so we took to minor roads, bisected the Long Walk and cycled Old Windsor to the Devere Hotel (kindly, they let us use their luggage room to store our bikes overnight). We'd only cycled 20.4 miles, and realised that we could have easily added on another 10 miles today. Cycling on the flat is so much easier!
The next day, I really wanted to cycle past Runnymede Magna Carta monument, which meant the river path, rather than the busy road. It is a footpath and not a cycle route, but again, no issues cycling it. The road is close to your right, so any objections meant that we could easily zip onto the road.
Passing though Staines via the river and then to Chertsey, I knew here, at the Kingfisher inn, we would need to cycle route 4 along the road, as the river fragments. The cycle path is well marked and rather than the busy road, keeps on a designated part of the pavement.
The last section into London, surprised me, as the scenery remained wonderful, paths widened and it hardly felt like we were in the largest city. We did need to navigate though the busy streets to refind the path, but cycle route app that I'd downloaded was really useful and stopped me getting lost a few times.

Hampden Court, we could not resist pushing our bikes to the cafe in the grounds and enjoying a coffee, before cycling the last leg to Richmond train station. With difficulty, we spotted the centre train carriage to take our bikes- no reservation required, and got back to Reading, where we were collected, loaded bikes on car racks and back in time for supper. My tracker had stated a total of 46.6 miles. The second day, had been easy cycling too, and we realised we could have done the lot in one day.
But, the answer is that 80% is accessible by the river path and the other sections generally well marked out for cyclists. The paths were quiet, except in London, but later in the season may be busier.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Is sustrans route 4 the one that goes to Oxford. If so, I'd be tempted to take that rather than the Thames Path. It is somewhat hilly, though very pretty. I'd cut out Didcot though. I have not gone all the way from Reading to Oxford along the Thames Path, but some of it is rather grassy and difficult by bike. Around Reading the path is narrow in places, you share with lots of pedestrians. Some bits of the river bank are private, so you have to carry your bike over footbridges.

TigCshaff

Hi Yellow Fang,
Yep, thats the one. I dipped onto the route 4 a few times, when difficult following the river path. The idea was to see how far we could comfortably ride on relative flat ground, compared to cycling around Henley, Turville, Frieth, Marlow and Wallingford. My comfort zone is in the mountains- I can walk a lot further in a day in the SE than on the hills in Cumbria! Maybe, we were lucky not to pass many pedestrians, but when cycling along the river path, I rarely do. I dont think people mind if you're considerate and get off your bike at appropriate times. Im reading the threads about cycling the Rhine, but seems a bit of a logistic nightmare to get bikes over to Andermatt, so may think again

icowden

Veteran
I cycled Walton to Staines on Saturday (and back again). You can either follow the river and take the ferry at Shepperton, or you can nip up and over Walton Bridge and down through Shepperton to get back to the river. Probably about 10 minutes longer, but when you discover that the Ferry doesn't start until 9 and it's 8.30, still quicker. However, although you can follow the towpath for a short distance, the road itself becomes one way and what's left of the riverside path gets very thin and pretty much impassable. It then turns into a tough-mud offroading event at Dumsey Meadow.

The better (and only sensible) route is to follow #4 to Chertsey Bridge. Then you drop down onto Thames side at which point you have a lovely cycle ride on a fairly decent path all the way up to Staines until you get to the town centre at which point there are a couple more #4 detours away from the river.

Top Bottom