Cycling Tights / Trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Any recommendations? I use tracksuit bottoms, but they can get too hot and sweaty and ride down a bit at the back.
I'm not overly keen on the idea of tights as I don't like anything figure hugging due to usually then getting "nice arse" comments and wolf whistled at.
Are the Endura Firefly or Humvee trousers any good? What about any 3/4 length trousers?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I tried the 3/4 Humvees, and they're not bad. The fit is a bit weird though - definitely something to try first, imo.

My personal solution is dhb bib 3/4s (the bib stops that riding down problem to the rear) with Altura Ascent shorts over (I need the pockets these provide, although they'd do a fair job of preserving the modesty too).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I tried on the Altura Womens Synchro 3/4 Baggy Shorts yesterday. They seemed quite nice but weren't in the Evan's sale unfortunately, and so were £60. The sizing came up quite large. But I left them as I'm still wearing gloves, scarf, etc...

The style is a loose fit rather than clinging ... I was looking at them as I thought they wouldn't look too bad off the bike.

simonali

Guru
I just wear normal ¾ length trousers with cycling shorts underneath nowadays, not being partial to lycra on the outside anymore!

yello

Ronhill do decent leggings for cycling in, if one is too modest to be clad in lycra. I've had some DXBs for many years and rate them.

I can't get on with baggy shorts personally. They're just too, um, baggy! I find them more irritating than comfortable and cannot stand anything in the pockets. If I'm going to wear non-lycra shorts then I wear normal M&S type shorts.

wafflycat

Ronhill Bikesters are excellent as they aren't a really tight fit. Also cut to be higher at the back, so no riding down at the back. The fabric also dries really quickly if it gets wet, so no chilling.

Bikesters

gbb

Legendary Member
Ron Hill Bikesters..preferably the DXB's for me. They just shed the water when they get wet.
Tracksters are ok, but they dont have the higher back. To be fair, they're still fairly tight on the legs and butt...but for the money they cost...they're excellent.

They're not high end...but they last well (one of my pair is 3 years old and i live and die in them :biggrin:) Pound for pound, excellent value.

ChrisKH

Guru
gbb said:
Ron Hill Bikesters..preferably the DXB's for me. They just shed the water when they get wet.
Tracksters are ok, but they dont have the higher back. To be fair, they're still fairly tight on the legs and butt...but for the money they cost...they're excellent.

They're not high end...but they last well (one of my pair is 3 years old and i live and die in them :biggrin:) Pound for pound, excellent value.

I'll chuck mine in with the DXB Bikesters if you don't like Lycra. But don't forget to tell the better half

YOU DON'T WASH THEM WITH WASHING POWDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or it removes the waterproof treatment. Women eh? If it moves she'll wash it.:biggrin:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I've got endura 3/4, nike 3/4 and cannondale 3/4 length bibs with pads - all apparently 'mens' but seem to be a lot more comfortable than the women's specific *cough*. Must check down there more often ;) If I had to choose, I'd say the endura were the nicest (although tightest!!!).

postman

Legendary Member
After seeing my own legs on here recently.Max Wall where art thou.Have gone and found my cargo pants-trousers.Which now fit after starting a sort of diet.Also gone and bought some baggy shorts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm thinking about some Ron Hills for commuting - I'm a proper Lycra dude, but for commuting it's Trackie bottoms at the moment as I have to walk around the campus to get to my office, and I'd rather not frighten any of my colleagues or the 85% female student population on my site.....

Lycra's great if you don't have to go far from the bike, otherwise you look like a right loon !

Top Bottom