cycling to loose weight (and because I am now addicted)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
I was wondering if anyone would know the answer to this problems that is bugging me a bit:wacko: .
I started cycling initially to lose weight. If I was to ride 40 miles as fast as I can say in about 3 hours then went and sat on the sofa for an hour, or took it really steady and did the 40 miles in 4 hours, which 4 hour period would I burn the most fat in?
I know its like being back at school again!
Sorry about the typo in the title, I have got some loose weight but I pimarily want to lose it:blush:

Don't get hung up on 'fat burning' - it's pretty much a myth. If you have 4 hours spare, then cycle for that 4 hour period. There's nothing to stop you from mixing up the effort level during your rides, rather than simply going 'flat out'. The longer and harder you ride, the more calories you will burn, but you will struggle to ride properly 'hard' for four hours, so varying your effort makes more sense.

Use cycling to get fitter by all means, but the best way of losing weight is by controlling your diet as well.

MrsDangermouse

According to the diet/fitness website I use, both options will burn around the same number of calories:
- If I cycle for 180 mins @ 12-14 mph (40 miles in 3 hours = 13.3 mph) then I'd burn approx 2069 calories
- If I cycle for 240 mins @ 10-12 mph (40 miles in 4 hours = 10 mph) then i'd also burn approx 2069 calories.
Of course your actual calorie burn will depend on your age/weight/fitness so your figures are likely to be different to mine, but the basic sums will still be the same.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
According to the diet/fitness website I use, both options will burn around the same number of calories:
- If I cycle for 180 mins @ 12-14 mph (40 miles in 3 hours = 13.3 mph) then I'd burn approx 2069 calories
- If I cycle for 240 mins @ 10-12 mph (40 miles in 4 hours = 10 mph) then i'd also burn approx 2069 calories.
Of course your actual calorie burn will depend on your age/weight/fitness so your figures are likely to be different to mine, but the basic sums will still be the same.
Figures which are always shady at best.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's probably close enough not to matter, but youd probably burn slightly more on the faster ride because of it being slightly less efficent at higher speeds due to disproportionately increased air resistance I would have thought. The longer ride keeps you away from the fridge for longer though :rolleyes: Do you have a smartphone you can log rides on, I find its great for motivation :smile:

In my experience, cycling will make you much fitter and healthy but probably wont give you dramatic weight loss results unless you sort your diet out too. I usually run 3 days a week and cycle another 3 and I can still easily gain weight if I over eat :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For me, cycling burns about 1 pound of fat per 100 miles ridden and it doesn't make a lot of difference how quickly or slowly I ride.

If you are in a hurry, speed up. If you want the ride to last all day, slow down!

redcard

Veteran
According to Endomondo I've burned 160,000 calories since April, which is around 6lbs

So get a figure from whatever nutritional / diet website, and divide what they tell you by 10. That'll get you pretty close.

DaveyM

Über Member
There are all kinds of other factors to take into account and without getting too 'sciency'
I would just say keep riding and eating good food. The most important thing is that you enjoy riding your bike and keep taking oppertunities to do so

potsy

Rambler
According to Endomondo I've burned 160,000 calories since April, which is around 6lbs

So get a figure from whatever nutritional / diet website, and divide what they tell you by 10. That'll get you pretty close.
I thought a lb was 3500 calories? :unsure:

The most effective training for fat loss in the gym is High Intensity Interval Training, where a shorter workout with varying (but intense) intervals is proven to cut less body fat than longer, slower cardio. I would imagine, but I'm no expert, that the same would be true for cycling.

Top Bottom