cycling to loose weight (and because I am now addicted)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me cycling is about fun and then staying fit, I have to agree with most of the guys here in saying just get out there and have some fun, if you have 4 hours just ride for 4 hours, forget the numbers and get out there :smile:

Got it in one! Sports science has its place - usually at the very top level of sport or if you have a very, very specific fitness goal in mind. For the average joe (ie- me!) enjoyment is my main objective. But with that said, when it comes to weight loss, it does help to have a basic grasp of food nutrition to help you make sensible choices in your quest.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Perhaps the simple answer is to ride more slowly and just extend the distance. I rode around 90 miles in a day (and night) fairly recently and was shattered, my trousers felt looser the very next day! The following week I kept up the mileage and knocked out about another 160 miles. At the end of all that I felt fantastic and was trimmer (in one week) faster and was climbing hills really well.

Problem is I didn't ride much at all the following week (work commitments) and was back to where I started within 7 days.

It occurred to me that I've been repeating this same pattern for the last 4 years and as such weigh pretty much the same today as I did when I started riding 40 miles a day 3 days a week.

Cycling does encourage weight loss but like everything it requires maintained effort.

Except at high intensity, the body can't produce ATP from fat molecules fast enough. You actually burn glycogen at that level, the difference is in the overall calories burned and the stress placed on the body during and adaptations after.

This is what I mean about being baffled with jargon. ATP? Fat molecules? Sorry I really don't mean to be facetious but it's waaaay over my head, and probably many others too!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
This is what I mean about being baffled with jargon. ATP? Fat molecules? Sorry I really don't mean to be facetious but it's waaaay over my head, and probably many others too!
Yet you offer advice on how to burn fat:becool:

Oxygen +Glucose+fat in - chemical reaction in cells to produce ATP,water and carbon dioxide - ATP = energy,the rest is waste.

A byproduct of this energy production when you are working at 60%-95% intensity is lactate. Yet working in this range (ie: HIIT as you suggested) does not burn fat as it is too slow to break down. The type of muscle fiber also changes but that's a different story.

The overall calorie burn during and after due to the stress is where the difference is made. But like I said above, you can train your body to rely less on glycogen,but can't train it to burn more fat.

This simplifies my course notes better than I can http://lactate.com/Energy_Basic01.html

Yet you offer advice on how to burn fat:becool:

Oxygen +Glucose+fat in - chemical reaction in cells to produce ATP,water and carbon dioxide - ATP = energy,the rest is waste.

A byproduct of this energy production when you are working at 60%-95% intensity is lactic acid. Yet working in this range (ie: HIIT as you suggested) does not burn fat as it is too slow to break down. The type of muscle fiber also changes but that's a different story.

The overall calorie burn during and after due to the stress is where the difference is made. But like I said above, you can train your body to rely less on glycogen,but can't train it to burn more fat.

This simplifies my course notes better than I can http://lactate.com/Energy_Basic01.html

Wouldn't say I was offering advice, but rather an opinion based on my own personal experience, but I guess it came across that way-oops! :-s

I've done HIIT on and off for a few years in different ways -with weights, without weights, kettlebells...and whereas I don't fully understand the science behind it what I did find is that at one stage I managed to lose approximately 1% bodyfat doing it (measured with skin fold calipers by a PT at the gym) which also resulted in a 9lb weight loss and 6" off my waist. I should point out that I was eating very sensibly as well. I should also point out that I have since put a bit back on from being, shall we say, more sedentary lol!

What I do know by speaking to my PT is that HIIT leads to an increased resting metabolic rate which in laymans terms means you burn more calories at rest than most if not all other forms of cardio.

So my point is it must be effective!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Wouldn't say I was offering advice, but rather an opinion based on my own personal experience, but I guess it came across that way-oops! :-s

I've done HIIT on and off for a few years in different ways -with weights, without weights, kettlebells...and whereas I don't fully understand the science behind it what I did find is that at one stage I managed to lose approximately 1% bodyfat doing it (measured with skin fold calipers by a PT at the gym) which also resulted in a 9lb weight loss and 6" off my waist. I should point out that I was eating very sensibly as well. I should also point out that I have since put a bit back on from being, shall we say, more sedentary lol!

What I do know by speaking to my PT is that HIIT leads to an increased resting metabolic rate which in laymans terms means you burn more calories at rest than most if not all other forms of cardio.

So my point is it must be effective!
You are perfectly correct. That is where the difference is made. HIIT burns glycogen and zero fat,the after affect of the stress(ie:bolded bit) increased RMR and the extra calorie burn is the entire point. This is what shifts the lbs, not HIIT itself.

ps: I jargoned you on purpose :highfive:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You should let time be the deciding factor, instead of having a particular distance in mind. Go out on the bike for as long as you have and go as fast as you can manage, during the available time. People will say that riding slowly is better but they are kidding themselves or just lazy.

OP
OP
simmi

simmi

Über Member
Wow:wacko: wow:wacko: wow:wacko: so much info, thanks so much for all the replies so much for me to take in being a complete cycling virgin, but I love it! I am stats mad so will print the thread off and take it all in. For instance if someone told me I was going to "bonk" half way through my ride I would have got quite excited but I am guessing in this context it's not a good thing.
Lots of contrasting info but hey that's the way of the world.
The main things I have gleamed from my limited understanding is it's more important to get the miles in than worry about how fast you go.
I did a couple of 12 milers on my lads hybrid before my Ribble arrived a couple of weeks ago have now taken 6 rides for a total of 129miles.
Furthest I have been so far is 32 miles which to be perfectly honest I found ok could have gone further If i had the time and my ass was not killing me (a real newbie comment i'm sure) Took 2:05 so will have to start taking some food if I intend to go further, what do you take? sugar or carbs? or a mixture of both?
Have lost 22lb in 10 weeks doing a mixture of High intensity and longer cardio workouts 6 times a week(mainly on a cross trainer before my road bike arrived) and by watching what I eat, I was eating way too many carbs you know the sort of thing a couple of slices of bread with my meals, heaps of potatoes or pasta etc.
I will have to throttle the exercise back a bit its not sustainable long term so will have to go for quality over quantity.
Another thing I was wondering was what complimentary exercises do you do to your cycling? do you swim, run, weights, row I feel like some upper body exercise of some kind is needed.
I intend to get it right this time and make a permanent change to my lifestyle and not a short term regime that I get board of in 6 months and slip back into my old ways.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wow:wacko: wow:wacko: wow:wacko: so much info, thanks so much for all the replies so much for me to take in being a complete cycling virgin, but I love it! I am stats mad so will print the thread off and take it all in. For instance if someone told me I was going to "bonk" half way through my ride I would have got quite excited but I am guessing in this context it's not a good thing.
Read The Trauma of Trawden and decide for yourself! :thumbsup:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Before you limit exercise as you say it isn't sustainable. How is it not sustainable? You mentioned cutting some carbs which could easily be a factor should you begin to increase distances.

Other sports won't directly compliment cycling but they will compliment lifestyle and body composition. You need to choose which direction you take really.

Nutrition: The only answer is to experiment. Some people swear by stuff like soreen or fig rolls. Others prefer gels and bars or indeed fruit. Drinks bottles are exactly the same principal,experiment.

Another thing I was wondering was what complimentary exercises do you do to your cycling? do you swim, run, weights, row I feel like some upper body exercise of some kind is needed.
I intend to get it right this time and make a permanent change to my lifestyle and not a short term regime that I get board of in 6 months and slip back into my old ways.

I would say that's really up to you and what you enjoy most and what you can handle! I personally do kettlebell training three mornings a week (mon/wed/fri) with a ride in the evenings, then Tues/thurs mornings it's a 4 mile walk mostly uphill at a pace of 4+ mph (to keep the ticker up!) with a one mile swim in the evenings (oh and the mile long walk there and back to the pool lol)

I would recommend kettlebells as its like a gym in your hand (so much so i cancelled my gym membership now)but it is intense and depending on your health circumstances it may not be suitable.

But if you're in good health then give it a shot! :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give it a rest and get back on topic the lot of you FFS.
What is it, the drawing in of the nights, the new moon, someone shoved a rocket up yer bums ? :ninja:

I have deleted all the petty squabbling and put the thread back on topic. Now KEEP on TOPIC.

This thread is about Cycling to Lose Weight. It's in Beginners.

If you want a fight, the door is that way > to the playground. :boxing:

Top Bottom