Cycling to Work.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...... was again an absolute joy.

Today was a lovely crisp morning , the sun was a bit low and its getting cooler but thats ok it was still nice to do the 6 miles in shorts, t shirt and a thin windbreak shirt.

My fellow commuters on bikes seemed happy and as usual I nodded to the regulars. Those in cars plodded on with Terry on the radio and gave me space when needed. A couple of motorists did things I'd rather they didnt, nothing I couldn't allow for though.

When I got to work, I was up and running for the day with enough energy to get the car users going too.

Coming home was after rush hour, so a steady ride with time to wind down before I spent time with my family.

In fact today was just like every other day I commute, of course sometimes it rains a bit , sometimes it windy, sometimes its a bit hotter.I may even cross the path of some angry souls now and again.

Mostly its an absolute pleasure, sometimes I get up early because I looking forward to the ride. Sometimes I have to take a car but for now i'm blessed witha job near enough to cycle to and the fitness to do it quickly.

What a life.

Is it Monday yet??

To compound a shitty birthday with an absolute moron of a cab driver I lost my cycling computer which really pissed me off.:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Friday was a grand morning to be a cyclist indeed - passing over the bridge on Manchester Road, before Parrs Wood in Didsbury, the sun was shining through the mist on the fields and river, beautiful. The cool crisp day was ideal for cycling too.

The evening was pretty pleasant too - the sun easily warm enough for shorts and a short sleeve jersey, and pleasant enough to take it easy on the way home.

Closer to home a motorist ignored my right turn signal and zoomed past me, turning into the left lane, and arriving a full second before me at a red light. I had a bit of a shout about that (and was ignored - in fact, they ignored me so well that they failed to see their left filter light go green, thus earning the ire of the drivers behind, poetic justice of a sort, I suppose). Thinking back though, I'd done another lifesaver prior to starting to move over, spotted the nutter, and stayed where I was, so whilst annoying, I guess I did my part of things right, which is nice.

(BTW, sorry to hear of your run of bad luck Terminator)

neslon

Deer, Hare & Fox.
They were the interesting wildlife I had to dodge on my ride to work this morning. Bit of a long one really, as I had to get to Longhirst Hall, near Ashington & went via the back roads (40kmish - the 'pooter fell of last week). No traffic, no hassle, and I discovered a larder full of McVities Fruit Flapjack. Bit of a result.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Terminator said:
To compound a shitty birthday with an absolute moron of a cab driver I lost my cycling computer which really pissed me off.:biggrin:

This is the like the Mint Card "clever/dumb balance is restored" advert :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Aww, don't feel too bad Terminator. when you found your cycle computer, StarSeven probably had a visit from the P fairy! :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

starseven

Little Miss P hasn't been round here since I invested in gatorskins!!

I do remember this day though, whilst waiting for the glue to dry I had a nice chat with a lovely hiking lady.
DSC00117.jpg

She said she had never seen anything quite as big.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
John the monkey, wasn't so nice this morning on Manchester Rd (tues) as it was hissing it down, still passed all the cars and on into Didsbury. If you see a dark blue mtb with guards and a flo yellow top flying down the white line in the middle, that's me......... Arrived rather dry into work though. The Aldi waterproofs are pretty good. Used plastic bags with my neoprene overshoes, so my shoes and socks were still dry... oh and did it rain....many of the roads were flooded...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
John the monkey, wasn't so nice this morning on Manchester Rd (tues) as it was hissing it down, still passed all the cars and on into Didsbury.
Same route as me, to that point (I turn right onto Parrs Wood Road at the lights). It was a bit 'orrible today, although not as grumpy as bad weather commutes are sometimes. Not a day for looking around at the scenery though - head down, concentrating on the road and traffic for me.
If you see a dark blue mtb with guards and a flo yellow top flying down the white line in the middle, that's me.........
I'll be the bloke pootling along in your way, I've no doubt :biggrin: I'm usually sporting a Hi-Viz jacket and one of those "Hump" rucksack covers.
Arrived rather dry into work though. The Aldi waterproofs are pretty good. Used plastic bags with my neoprene overshoes, so my shoes and socks were still dry... oh and did it rain....many of the roads were flooded...
Went for bib longs on the lower half - got damp, but was still comfortable (the aldi ones are surprisingly good, despite the bizarre sizing). Trainers and socks are soaked though, largely from the puddles I can't avoid on the way in.

The missus was very worried about me commuting in today, and I was instructed to text the minute I'd arrived...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The weather was a bit 'orrible - could hear it pelting of the windows as I got up, but as the car is a no-no - no site parking and it would take an hour to do 8 miles, the bus would mean my suit got wet...had to be the bike.

I wont be telling my missus about nearly getting wiped out this morning - the main road had flooded in a dip under a railway bridge to about 6 inches - caused an almighty tail back (I wouldn't have drivem through it) but as I went down the outside of the queue, some fool decided to do a u-turn without looking...... brakes on, shouting wow, WOW, WOW !!!!!, they only just stopped as I swerved and almost broadsided the car..... then came FCUK'ing Hell and off I went ! Lights, high vis etc... none of it helped......

Anyway, timed the plough through the flood just before a bus came in the opposite direction - could feel the water coming over the front of my overshoes, but stayed dry..

Nice and sunny now....they did say that today would be a blip this week....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good on you for reacting in time. My office has no windows, so every commute home is something of a surprise, in terms of weather :biggrin: If it is sunny in town too, hopefully some of the puddles will have gone by the time I set off.

I did encounter a bloke doing a three point turn on Manchester Road last night (just before the bridge over the motorway, on the Parrs Wood side). I had time to stop as he swung the car in front of me, completely blocking one lane.

Mad when you think that for a couple of more minutes he could have used the car park in the cinema complex to turn safely.

Top Bottom