Cycling to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone get funny looks or comments from work colleagues about the amount of miles they cycle to work, my commute is 20 miles plus a day round trip.
All they say you must be mad (but very fit) and they don't know how I do it.

this is people that don't even walk to work and they live about 5 mins away from work and they stiill get in their and drive lazy or what

Matthames

Über Member
I get this sometimes. The other day a colleague of mine asked how far I had to cycle in and when I said 4 she was really surprised about it. To me 4 miles is absolutely nothing, it feels like it is only around the corner. I told her it gets easier every time I do it :thumbsup:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
All the time Iain.

They think I'm mad or superhuman.

I think they are crazy. Cycling is so much more enjoyable than driving or using public transport. I can't think why they would confine themselves into a tin box - even in December.

I only get off the bike when I'm ill or it's too dangerous to cycle - i.e - snow of January.

buggi

Bird Saviour
all the time, mine is 50 mile round trip (not everyday tho!) but if i'm honest i sneakily love that they think i'm super human.

gavintc

Guru
I am continually told it is dangerous and that I should drive. They then ask how long it takes me and they are amazed that I can do the 23 km in 45 mins as it generally takes about 30 mins to drive. But, the novelty is wearing off the comments and after 2 months, they are getting used to me. There are not many of us cycle commuters, and we often meet for a coffee and chat, laughing about the other car commuters.

dondare

Über Member
Mostly people tell me that cycling is dangerous, which is whey they don't do it. They also tell me that cyclists ride on the pavement injuring pedestrians and cause accidents by riding through red lights. And how dangerous bikes are because you can't hear them coming which is why crossing the road is so hazardous.
It is actually quite clear that some of my colleagues are very jealous of my obvious physical fitness (compared to them) and that their jibes are a result of this. Whether it's fear of traffic or just plain laziness that prevents them from cycling I couldn't say, but I'm happy to let them pay exhorbitant fares and worry about their waistlines (or give up worrying) and try to make themselves feel better by trying to tease me.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Matthames said:
I get this sometimes. The other day a colleague of mine asked how far I had to cycle in and when I said 4 she was really surprised about it. To me 4 miles is absolutely nothing, it feels like it is only around the corner. I told her it gets easier every time I do it :tongue:

I think there is something badly wrong if someone cant cycle 4 miles lol. People do tend to rely on cars a bit much I think

People thought I would give it a month and then go back to the car, but after the shock of 17 each way, I tell them how much it saves and I think they then realise that going by car is a waste especially when I have beaten my mate home who takes the bus !

Plus I eat what I want and din't have to worry about it :tongue:

Jezston

Über Member
I get the usual

1. Think it's very dangerous, why do I ride on the road rather than the pavement?
2. Cyclists are bad because they ride on the pavement.
3. Cyclists ALWAYS jump reds.
4. Cyclists don't pay road tax
5. [single digit number] of miles is too far.

Some of this comes from OTHER CYCLISTS.

One of my colleagues, sits in the office next to me I fell out with briefly because she went on some rant about hating cyclists because they don't pay road tax, slow her down, knocked off her wing mirror etc, and that she would never ride in because cycling is so incredibly dangerous, even though she's currently selling her car because she can't afford to run it and she only lives 3-4 miles away. She's only 23 FFS.

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
Jezston said:
I get the usual

1. Think it's very dangerous, why do I ride on the road rather than the pavement?

One of my colleagues, sits in the office next to me I fell out with briefly because she went on some rant about hating cyclists because they don't pay road tax, slow her down, knocked off her wing mirror etc, and that she would never ride in because cycling is so incredibly dangerous, even though she's currently selling her car because she can't afford to run it and she only lives 3-4 miles away. She's only 23 FFS.
Sounds about right.
The one thing I hate hearing is I couldn't cycle to the end of the road

nich

I get a couple of comments...

1) Don't bring the bike in, we're going out drinking tonight! I usually bring it in anyway and spend the night on lemonade, biking is such an addictive drug to me that it's better than alcohol :rolleyes:

2) Stop cycling in, or at least take up smoking, else your'll have an unfair advantage in the stamina department when we play badminton! To be honest it's more tiring for me as my legs are gone by the end of the week, so I'm not seeing much advantage!

There's quite a few people in my office that would love to cycle to work, for some reason that haven't yet. It's hard to 'start' it, but I know that if they did, they would be just as addicted to it as I am :hugs: This time of year is also the perfect time to start...I'll keep prodding them :blush:

Crankarm

Guru
Jezston said:
I get the usual

What 23 stone? That would figure.

:rolleyes:

Cycling is dangerous compared to driving that's for sure.

Top Bottom