Cycling to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Cycle commuting is pretty common where I work, especially since they bought in the cycle to work scheme. The most comment my 6 miles each way gets is "oh, that's a nice distance".

Crankarm

Guru
Iainj837 said:
I hope he means she 23 yrs of age and not 23 stone :hugs:

Sadly many are so f'kin fat now it wouldn't surprise me. I worked in an office of about 80 people a couple of years back where I'd say 90% of my then colleagues were FLBs (Fat Lazy Bar$tards). It really was depressing going to work at that time. Putting up with all the anti cycling sh1t and "I'm so pathetic that I can't cycle" crap from these people, that I was glad when I left. Not a nice environment in which to work. After their lunch of chips, beans and sausages or pie, many of them would still troff on crisps, fizzy drinks, cream cakes and buns :rolleyes:.

gavintc

Guru
It used to really wind me up when people would use the lift to move their lazy arses up or down one floor. Thankfully my current office has no lifts.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My commute is 17 miles, and I've had similar comments from work colleagues. I initially thought 17 might be too much, but now after 8 weeks it feels normal, and anything less would be a bit of a let-down.

Oh yes, and +1 on the spare tyres; there are plenty of those in my workplace.

dondare

Über Member
Tynan said:
how many motorists are killed or seriously injured compared to cyclists?
About 5% of traffic acident deaths are cyclists.

The point is not which mode of transport is safer mile for mile; deaths from traffic accidents are low in Britain. More people die from trips and falls than in road accidents.
The point is that cyclists are protecting themselves against heart disease, which is Britain's biggest killer; and protecting themselves and everyone else against pulmonary diseases which are Britain's second-biggest killer.

brokenbetty

Über Member
gavintc said:
It used to really wind me up when people would use the lift to move their lazy arses up or down one floor .

I do that. It's a shoe thing. My office shoes have two purposes:

1. transport on level ground
2. increasing my height from 5ft 1 to at least 5 ft 4

If I need to move levels there are lifts.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Tynan said:
how many motorists are killed or seriously injured compared to cyclists?
In Australia at least, cyclists are at higher risk than motorists: http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/36229/cross_modal_safety_comparisons.pdf. Note: This is only 1 source I've cited, but I believe it's representative.

However, motorists as a group are no doubt at higher risk of death or ill-health due to less exercise, so despite knowing the risk of cycling, I wouldn't swap it for anything!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Iainj837 said:
Does anyone get funny looks or comments from work colleagues about the amount of miles they cycle to work, my commute is 20 miles plus a day round trip.
All they say you must be mad (but very fit) and they don't know how I do it.

this is people that don't even walk to work and they live about 5 mins away from work and they stiill get in their and drive lazy or what

They say im a nutter (in a nice way) for trying to do 26.2 miles per day when I could get away with just 13miles per day, they dont quite get it when I say I love every mile I do !

NigC

I don't really get any comments about my cycling, except for the occassional wannabe cyclist :becool: The most amusing comment actually came fom my wife (who works in the same office) - I leave at 3:00 and she couldn't believe I was home when I called at 3:25 despite me telling her countless times how long it takes me ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I occasionally succumb to the lift up to the 4th floor ... if I'm feeling tired ... but only then ... I don't even remember there is a lift when I'm leaving the offices and just head down the stairs... probably because I hate the standing around waiting for the lift in the first place

NigC

summerdays said:
I occasionally succumb to the lift up to the 4th floor ... if I'm feeling tired ... but only then ... I don't even remember there is a lift when I'm leaving the offices and just head down the stairs... probably because I hate the standing around waiting for the lift in the first place

It's very pleasing to say that my daughter likes to take the stairs at the local shopping centre car park. We often race my wife - who has to take the lift due to her disability - and win despite the extra walk to get to the stairs ;)

nich

I get the feeling the same people that use the lift in our office are the same people that forked out for wii-fit at home, thinking it would give them instant super buttocks! ;)

Leggy

I haven't actually done it yet, but a number of people have gasped, "But you wouldn't ride all that way to work, surely?!?" when I've told them my plans. Never mind that a co-worker who's 40 years older than me rides an equivalent distance (7ish miles) every day.

I think it may have to do with working at a research institute, but a large minority of my colleagues commute by bike, and that been the same at the other institutes I've worked at too. So there's not a lot of shock and horror in the office when you suggest that you might do it. Our new building even has a purpose-built, lock-up bike room next to showers and lockers, so clearly HR is paying attention.

Top Bottom