Cycling Trousers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I am sure this has been asked before but:

What cycling trousers do people recommend? I do want trousers rather than anything skin hugging (not ready to show off my puny sparrow legs just yet). Or is it better to just wear tracksuit bottoms?

Also would this choice effect saddle choice?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need lycra shorts to start with (underneath anything non-cycling)

Choice of Trackie bottoms and clips (I've been doing this commuting as I have a walk - lycra at weekends on the road bikes) or Ron Hill Bikesters aren't too tight - slim fit but not tight ?

Someone else on here will let you know some more options!

OP
OP
J

Jim77

fossyant said:

Choice of Trackie bottoms and clips (I've been doing this commuting as I have a walk - lycra at weekends on the road bikes) or Ron Hill Bikesters aren't too tight - slim fit but not tight ?

Someone else on here will let you know some more options!

Are the lycra shorts worn to prevent chafing? Are these worn instead or as well as underwear?! (If you don't ask you don't learn!!)

Odyssey

Jim77 said:
Are the lycra shorts worn to prevent chafing? Are these worn instead or as well as underwear?! (If you don't ask you don't learn!!)

Cycling shorts generally come with padding, which I think is what fossyant may be getting at. If so, in my opnion it's far from essential.

It's painful for a few days, but if you sit through it the pain soon goes. I actually had my first ever ride in padded shorts today and I couldn't tell the difference tbh.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jim77 said:

Cycle shorts should be worn without underwear, and the padding really does make a difference, especially on longer trips. You can get cycle trousers with padding. You can also get baggy cycle shorts, if you feel self conscious about wearing lycra (it is not compulsory;)). The advantage of getting purpose made cycle trousers is that they don't have raised seams which tend to rub in awkward places :smile::blush:

buddha

Veteran
I have a pair of Endura Humvees and Altura Dryline trousers.
Of the two, the Humvees are more comfortable. The Drylines are a bit 'boil in the bag' and tight around the thighs.
However I find both trousers a bit restrictive and uncomfortable on longer rides. So you may want to try them on in a shop first.

I now use Ronhill Bikesters. The Pro version is a slightly looser fit and looks less like lycra than the normal bikesters. A bonus for those of us with Chris Hoy sized thighs!

bonj2

Just get bib longs. Why would you care if other people think your legs look puny? You're never going to see them again.

I use the Protective Pembertons from Edinburgh bicycle or any of the common"breeches" from companies such as Lowe Alpine.

The latter require a liner such as the ones from Endura.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I can still remember my dad bursting into laughter when, aged 18, I appeared at the living room door in lycra shorts. It was another 16 years before I tried them again. Now I wish I had years ago. Which room was the counselling?

I shall be happy to give counselling over those 16 years that the locust hath eaten ......

Being afraid to wear cycling gear when cycling does appear to be a peculiarly British phenomenon, though.

PrettyboyTim

fossyant said:

Only for longer distances. I just rode to work in my jeans today - 7 miles, no problem at all. They would suck if I'd been caught in heavy rain, though.

Tynan

Veteran
I've slowly moved to bike specific kit little by little and loved every piece and wished I'd used every piece decades ago when I thought it was all silly nonsense for poseurs and pros

all of it is really comfortable and makes the ride far more enjoyable

all a question of how serious you want to take it (and how much you want to spend but you can pick everything up cheap if you look hard enough)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
all a question of how serious you want to take it (and how much you want to spend but you can pick everything up cheap if you look hard enough)
Very true - Decathlon do a basic padded lycra short (which I've found ok) for a fiver...

I wear Altura ascent baggy shorts over 3/4 bibs (dhb Merston, in autumn/winter) or shorts (mostly decathlon, summer) largely because I need the zipped pockets for train tickets[1] etc.

Tynan is absolutely right about the bike gear being more comfortable - it's long enough at the back while in riding position, doesn't flap about once you get above 12mph, wicks properly... etc

Hairy Jock said:
The advantage of getting purpose made cycle trousers is that they don't have raised seams which tend to rub in awkward places

The other advantage is that stuff in the pockets sits properly - I used to wear some non-bike specific shorts, and found it impossible to get the stuff in the pockets to lie comfortably...

[1] This is my story, and I'm sticking to it

Top Bottom