Cycling using one leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone had any experience of cycling using only one leg?

Right leg has a problem at the knee, 2 kneecaps, with on pushing the other, causing the lower part of the leg to twist outwards. At present its somewhere around 10 degrees out.

Expecting it to get worse, before the leg will finally require straightening & locking into position. When this happens, I don't want to be forced to give up cycling which is why I'm asking.

Already had to give up running, bursa was drained 20 years ago. Leg not able to take the impact of running.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Nope, but perfect excuse for a favourite pic :smile:
KilpatrickOneLeggedCyclist.jpg

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The leg, I get to keep. But it will be locked straight, I'll just be unable to bend it.

Sofar what I've not seen anything for anyone who has both legs, in full, but not full use of both.

But thanks for the quick replies. It aint goung to beat me that much I know. Slow me down maybe, stop me never.

snorri

Legendary Member
My father was disabled, one leg would not bend at the hip, so he could not use it to pedal. He had a fixed wheel bicycle, fairly low geared. His "non pedalling" foot rested on a fixed footrest which replaced the crank and pedal on that side. Also it was a ladies model bicycle, no crossbar, to make thing easier when starting and dismounting.
It was all a long time ago, and I cannot give you any further technical details, but I hope my story gives you some encouragement.:smile:

classic33 said:
The leg, I get to keep. But it will be locked straight, I'll just be unable to bend it.

Sofar what I've not seen anything for anyone who has both legs, in full, but not full use of both.

/QUOTE]

That's not a problem. Which leg will be affected?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Hilldodger;1005823][QUOTE=classic33 said:

/QUOTE]

That's not a problem. Which leg will be affected?

Right leg. The other problemis I sometimes use a Brox. On that I can easily make a piece to hold the foot in place on the front boom.
So, what I feel I'm looking for is somthing that will allow the leg to hang, whilst on a bike, without fouling the drivetrain.

I will add that its not anytime soon that I need it. But just to try and be ready when it does happen.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Snorri, thanks for what you said

zacklaws

Guru
One of the people I knew in my first job only had one leg and cycled to work every day. How he did it I cannot recall, apart from he carried his stick under his arm and resting on the bars and put it down to mount and dismount.

Top Bottom