Cycling Warnings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Yesterdays ride took me past the house were I was born and lived until I was 21, I learned to ride on this road, built a bike from old bits and pieces and bought my first bike from money earned working on the farm at harvest time.

It was windy yesterday and it came back to me what my mother used to say as I disappeared for the day on my bike.

"Watch you don't get blown under a bus"

Was her very good advice.

Before I set off yesterday the wife said.

" Be carful its Friday the thirteenth"

Have you had any warnings before a ride ?

Yes, if you want to get up at 5am for a ride without waking me, you’ll be on the sofa! :tongue:
Best stick to nighttime riding instead.

I get a different warning on a daily basis if my neighbour sees me leaving on my bike! It was getting a bit wearying ...

Until a week or so ago I heard all of them as I was still a bit slow and hesitant 'getting going' but my departure efficiency has improved, fortunately, so now she no sooner sees me than I'm gone and past, only hear a couple of words and pretend that I hear nothing.

It has been everything - 'Is your helmet on properly?' 'There's a lot of traffic out today' 'There's been a crash on the M55 - it's very dangerous' 'The right turn on X road is bad', 'There are gypsies in Y Park', 'A dog attacked someone on the canal towpath', 'Youths have been pushing people off their bikes in (unruly housing estate about 15 miles from here) - watch out!'

She had to use a short stretch of the canal towpath to walk back from somewhere a couple of weeks ago and was so surprised and delighted that it 'seemed safe - there were parents with young children using it!' I just say 'Yes I know' to that sort of comment and 'Oh is it' to the doom-mongering ones, if I get caught and have to respond.

I can only suppose she sees dangers and threats everywhere, in everyone and everything, and is totally incapable of judging risk. It must be utterly miserable being her. She is more than 20 years younger than me but has the attitude of a frightened little old lady.

I get a different warning on a daily basis if my neighbour sees me leaving on my bike! It was getting a bit wearying ...

Until a week or so ago I heard all of them as I was still a bit slow and hesitant 'getting going' but my departure efficiency has improved, fortunately, so now she no sooner sees me than I'm gone and past, only hear a couple of words and pretend that I hear nothing.

It has been everything - 'Is your helmet on properly?' 'There's a lot of traffic out today' 'There's been a crash on the M55 - it's very dangerous' 'The right turn on X road is bad', 'There are gypsies in Y Park', 'A dog attacked someone on the canal towpath', 'Youths have been pushing people off their bikes in (unruly housing estate about 15 miles from here) - watch out!'

She had to use a short stretch of the canal towpath to walk back from somewhere a couple of weeks ago and was so surprised and delighted that it 'seemed safe - there were parents with young children using it!' I just say 'Yes I know' to that sort of comment and 'Oh is it' to the doom-mongering ones, if I get caught and have to respond.

I can only suppose she sees dangers and threats everywhere, in everyone and everything, and is totally incapable of judging risk. It must be utterly miserable being her. She is more than 20 years younger than me but has the attitude of a frightened little old lady.
Some folks are like that. She possibly reckons that this shows that she cares for you/is caring - she may be she may not be, I don't know.
I see it as demonstrating love by crippling, or trying to cripple.
Maybe similar stuff was done to her as a kid.
End of psychological musings.
Suggest in future you respond with a "bless you" and a wheelie.

Some folks are like that. She possibly reckons that this shows that she cares for you/is caring - she may be she may not be, I don't know.
I see it as demonstrating love by crippling, or trying to cripple.
Maybe similar stuff was done to her as a kid.
End of psychological musings.
Suggest in future you respond with a "bless you" and a wheelie.

From the little she's said to me, I think she was definitely 'crippled' as a child by dire warnings about the risks of almost everything.
She 'warned' me about a short and dangerous bit of road nearby (of which I was well aware) and I said to her don't worry, I ride on the pavement there. (Obviously when there aren't any peds there - but there never are, it's a horrible bit of road which just goes to a big junction). 'Oh!' she said 'but that's against the law, what if the police see you?'
I said the police have already seen me and they gave me a grin and a thumbs up.
'What if the next ones you see there stop you?'
Well I said, I'd far rather be stopped by the police and taken to the police station for breaking what is the letter of the law, than be stopped by an HGV and taken to the mortuary for abiding by it ...

She had no answer for that.

She's away this weekend and I'm cutting down some of the overgrown shrubs in her garden for her - I won't do it while she's around or I'd whack her with them! 'Watch that branch its got a thorn on it' 'Be careful of that leaf - it might land on your toe'. Before I got the measure of her, I told her there were a few nettles at the base of her hedge and she went wild, putting on big gauntlets and ripping them out. I only told her because I was going to ask if she wanted some of my left-over daffs to plant at the base of her hedge ... LOL!

Yet all during last year's lockdowns, while I had to self-isolate before and between my several surgeries, she faithfully and reliably did my shopping for me, so I put up with her foibles ...

Top Bottom