Cycling, weight and Snow White

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I was in the same position as the OP, but at 18.5st a lot heavier (I'm 6ft1). Through a combination of cycling and circuits with BMF (British Military Fitness) I'm down to 12.5st. Now for me food has always been important....I like my food, so dieting was never going to work. Cutting shoot out only makes you crave it more, so that's not a good way to go, however portion size control is the way I managed to keep moving my weight loss forward. If you can still eat the things you like, but just lesser amounts, then you will make gains.
Also eat a good breakfast like porridge as it fills you up, releases energy slowly and keeps you full for longer, thus avoiding the midmorning snack. Another useful thing I found was when I felt hungry, I had a glass of water. I felt full, but didn't eat. Yes, you do end up going to the loo a lot, but drinking 2L of water a day is really required to help loose weight as your body needs water in order to convert fat to energy.

OP....keep up the work and remember why you are doing this and don't become disheartened.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes, it's denser. Which is why it's perfectly possible to get heavier and slimmer and which is why waistline is more accurate than scales.
You won't put on muscle unless you work for it. Waistline is not more accurate than scales. Muscle density is higher than fat density - this does not make it heavier, it makes it heavier by VOLUME ONLY. Please stop spouting crap.

because with your new regime it's likely that you'll be putting on lean mass (muscle), which weighs more than fat and shedding fat at the same time.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Less beer, healthier eating (doesn't mean less eating) and more miles will square you right away. But to be fair as long as you are happy with yourself who really cares!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I weighed myself today, after about 4 weeks of cycling approx 36 miles a week, and according to my traitorous scales am currently 13st 12lb. No matter how often I send the hunter into the forest with orders to sort out Snow White the mirror still tells me she is alive and fairer than me.

For the first 6 weeks last year my weight actually increased - due to developing muscles.

Then it fell off at 1/2 a stone a month.

Basically ... keep going, and increase the miles.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Thanks for all the great advice. Did anyone notice that I wrote this 16 months ago though? Since then I have upped my mileage to about 100 miles a week, have certainly never dieted and have lost about 10lb and yes my body shape has changed for the better. I have no idea how or why this has been resurrected...

defy-one

Thanks for all the great advice. Did anyone notice that I wrote this 16 months ago though? Since then I have upped my mileage to about 100 miles a week, have certainly never dieted and have lost about 10lb and yes my body shape has changed for the better. I have no idea how or why this has been resurrected...
we missed you :cheers:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I'm 6'3.5" and weigh just under 15 stone. I haven't lost a pound in the last two or three years, but I'm probably a bit fitter and stronger, and have lost an inch or so around the waste. I'd love to drop to my 27 year old weight of 13 stone, when I really was fit and strong, but I love beer and pies.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Be careful of what you wish for! I'm 6ft 1 and i hated my lanky frame up till my early 20's when i started weight training and eating all the proteins and carbohydrates...........with lots of beer thrown in. I reached nearly 14 stones and i must say that i never felt happier about how i saw myself, even though others might have thought differently. I'm now back down to 11 stone after illness and maybe too much cycling. Being thin/slim isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you're keeping your heart and lungs in shape on that bike then you are doing what many are incapable of. A bit of bulk wont kill you!;)

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not universally true. Due to my other main sport and the diet that supports it I'm a manly 246lbs, and never vary by more than a pound or two.

Top Bottom