Cycling with back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mudpuppy

Hi all! I've always loved cycling, and have commuted by bike, but I have never been obsessive about it. Recently I have joined the local cycle club on some gorgeous rides into the Dales on my road bike. In the past year I've been struggling with neuropathic upper back pain, which has really got in the way of cycling, but I hope that I'll be able to ride a more upright bike again at some point. Perhaps hybrid bikes are better for people like me? Certainly reducing vibration seems to be important. I'd be interested to hear from other people who have had similar experiences.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
For reducing vibration, Carbon forks really do help if you can get a ride that has them.
In terms of your back issues, do you have day to day back issues that surface on bike rides, or are you just finding that after more miles than you are used to your back starts hurting. If it is the latter, I think that is quite normal when you are starting to get back into cycling, it has taken me years to get used to longish rides without back pain. There are all sorts of ways to reduce it such as getting your bike setup to suit you better and simply building up your strength IMO.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My back is wrecked below L1 after a driver decided he wasn't looking and snapped it in two.

I ride when I am able. Long rides take me a week to get over. Mine isn't neurological but it's a damaged disc and missing half a vertebrae thats reshaped my spine which causes pain.

I have back problems after failed surgery IMG_0303 2.JPG I now just ride when I feel up to it , though that is no where near as often as I would like and it takes longer to get over each ride,@User9609 I'm sick of people telling me to stand up straight and I will feel better, perhaps they think I walk stooped over just for a laugh :wacko:

OP
OP
M

Mudpuppy

For reducing vibration, Carbon forks really do help if you can get a ride that has them.
In terms of your back issues, do you have day to day back issues that surface on bike rides, or are you just finding that after more miles than you are used to your back starts hurting. If it is the latter, I think that is quite normal when you are starting to get back into cycling, it has taken me years to get used to longish rides without back pain. There are all sorts of ways to reduce it such as getting your bike setup to suit you better and simply building up your strength IMO.

Hi Rooster. My back problem is a constant one that is worsened by cycling. I have carbon forks on my road bike, and the tyres are 25mm, so not the narrowest, but I think that a sprung saddle and wide tyres make more of a difference to the amount of vibration transmitted to my spine, than the carbon forks. I guess you just have to trade speed for comfort.

OP
OP
M

Mudpuppy

[QUOTE 4947383, member: 9609"]I found cycling greatly helped my back problems, in fact it was my back injury that got me into cycling as it was walking that I stuggled with. I used a stem extender so as I could adopt a better 'more upright' position, I think I could probably take it off now but I actually prefer the more upright position , you see more.

View attachment 372172

@fossyant has your injury given you any weird postural problems, I developed a horrible sideways curve, although it took years I thankfully got rid of it.[/QUOTE]
That looks like a good idea. It would also bring the handlebars slightly closer. I also have a sideways curve in my spine (scoliosis) and it's possible that this is at least partly the cause of the problem. I'm glad that cycling has helped your back problems!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I would say go into your local bike shop and explain what you need, it may mean customising a bit but I'm sure it would be possible to get a bike with a position and ride that would be as comfortable as possible.

Plus to start off with get some good pain relief as it will take a while to get the muscles in your upper body strong again to support everything effectively. Pain relief allows you to ride as naturally as possible to speed up that process.

Good luck and let us know the setup you end up with.

Top Bottom