Cycling with Big Boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hi knowledgeable folks. I'm asking for a friend. She would like to ride her bike wearing the pictured big boot. The big boot is to help with the repair of a partial tear of a posterior tibial tendon. Not allowed to run/walk but OK to swim or cycle with the boot. So where could necessary modifications be sourced so she could pedal. She rides a road bike and I'm guessing the pedal is the thing although some adjustment of crank length may be needed. TIA

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not sure if Pic was posted - another go.

Sue's Boot.jpg

Hard to judge from the pic, but that doesn't look much bigger than my steel toecap work boots I cycle to work in because I can't be bothered to change when I get there.

I use normal pedals with cheapo commuter clips left wide open so I can get the boots in and out fast. Perhaps start by trying a normal flat pedal and see where you go from there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had to wear an Aircast boot (like your friend's) after breaking my ankle late last January. Mine went higher up my calf , but it was exactly the same at the foot end. The real problem is that the width of the plastic shell under the sole of the foot is much, much wider than any normal shoe. She'll fall off the ends of the pedals and/or smash the inside of the boot on the crank arms. Without cobbling some much wider pedals, you have a problem. Also, you need some ankle flexibility to pedal. Aircast boots don't allow that.

Believe me, I thought about the problem long and hard when I was hobbling about in February.

Edit: this was the one I was given.....
Aircast boot.png

Last edited:
Not a terribly helpful suggestion I know but if your friend has clipless pedals and shoes she could try only pedalling with her good leg on a much lower gear and just let the stricken foot either dangle or rest? As said above, not being able to flex the ankle will severely hamper any normal pedalling action. I'd personally not risk it but YMMV.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yes indeed @Edwardoka . But I think she'd throw her toys out of her bar bag attempting her usual bike exploits with one leg. The mental image is a funny one tho'.... Best not mention it :laugh: But I think the answer is patience. Maybe this process will help bring her to that view. :smile:

tamiya

Silly Q, but does the boot wearer get to walk normally with boot on, or does she still need crutches?

Friend here was moonbooted for many months, could hobble around house but she stayed on crutches when outside on footpath.

No way she could've ridden a bike, need to stash crutches etc etc. If she wanted wheels it would've been an electric mobility scooter with a vase for the crutches.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Silly Q, but does the boot wearer get to walk normally with boot on, or does she still need crutches?

Friend here was moonbooted for many months, could hobble around house but she stayed on crutches when outside on footpath.

No way she could've ridden a bike, need to stash crutches etc etc. If she wanted wheels it would've been an electric mobility scooter with a vase for the crutches.
I was told to use crutches when wearing my Aircast boot but never got the hang of it. After a few days, I just hobbled about without them. Here's my Top Tip....
We flew off to a holiday in India four days after I broke my ankle. A bit naughty because there's a slight risk of deep vein thrombosis if you fly shortly after a fracture. Anyway, if you wave your crutches at the airport staff, they get to buggy you all the way to your destination, including all the stopovers on your journey. No more misery of trudging down miles of featureless, over-lit corridors to get to the gate. Fabulous!

ozboz

Guru
It could depend on the injury , my GF had to wear one when she broke some bones in her foot , as @slowmotion said , she ditched the crutches after a few days and then just carried on as normal ! We was in the Albert , Chiswick one Sat night and she danced 'em all off the dance floor !
But didnt ride her bike though,

Top Bottom