Cycling with Big Boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not a terribly helpful suggestion I know but if your friend has clipless pedals and shoes she could try only pedalling with her good leg on a much lower gear and just let the stricken foot either dangle or rest? As said above, not being able to flex the ankle will severely hamper any normal pedalling action. I'd personally not risk it but YMMV.
My missus found a good work around for clipless with an air boot.*

20180713_110124.jpg

*I did this as a joke for her when she broke her ankle and she wanted to make her mates think it wouldn't stop her cycling.

shelbilito

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, I have ridden a bike around with one or two boots of that nature for quite a while. I just extended the seat a little higher and everything was fine!

catebeling

I am in an air cast/boot Post ankle surgery. Not allowed to put weight on my foot for four weeks. Today week three, I got on my bike on a trainer and rode hard for 1 hour. I bought a pedal extender and two big flat cheap pedals. Rode with my hood foot in a cage and the boot fit fine in my other pedal with the extender. I may have to switch to flat mtb pedals though, hard to keep the boot foot positioned right on the pedal. It wasn’t to slide off and I want to be sure the ankles stays stable. All in all not bad and felt great to get real exercise! It can be done.

Top Bottom