Cycling with cameras article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@Arjimlad well done for the publications.
Your reporting rate is a little higher than mine, but my morning commute (pre Covid) was completed before a lot of people were dressed, which reduced incidents towards me.

Thank you. Working from home I do a quieter 10 mile route in the mornings, but when I do go into the office, 3x per week, it's unusual not to have a close pass to report.

What's officially considered a 'close pass ' then, in the interests of reporting?

Personally, if I am shocked or concerned at how close it is, (and that is dependent upon speed/circumstances), I'll review the footage when I get home and take a considered view. If I think it's too close, I will report it.
Ok, do the Police usually just agree with you or is there a definitive distance?

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@shep the police know driving without due care/consideration when they see it.

For example the police, the CPS, the magistrates and even the defence solicitor and the driver all agreed that this was actually too close for comfort.

Our debate on another thread earlier helped me analyse why I bother reporting drivers who pass me too close, who put others in danger by overtaking into oncoming traffic, or who use their phones at the wheel. A lot of them improve their driving, which has to be good for everyone.

Most road cyclists know what "too close" feels like especially at speed. The HWC is changing to spell out minimum passing distances depending on speed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Personally, if I am shocked or concerned at how close it is, (and that is dependent upon speed/circumstances), I'll review the footage when I get home and take a considered view. If I think it's too close, I will report it.
If at speed, 20mph and above, and I can touch the vehicle I consider it a close pass. The same distance at a lower speed isn't always as bad.

@shep, the 1.5 metre, which West Midlands Police started with, came from the Staying Alive At 1.5 campaign in Ireland.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ok, do the Police usually just agree with you or is there a definitive distance?
So far I am concerned, there is no definitive distance. It come downs to how uncomfortable I feel at the time of the pass and then later when reviewing the footage. Speed, nature/size of the vehicle and the road circumstances all play a part. Oddly, the police usually agree with me.

Top Bottom