Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am in a run of crap sleep at the moment so bailed on a long ride outside and opted for a VO2 effort this morning followed by an hour of z2. Raised the intensity of the vo2 to 105% but i still think there is some headroom.Shed was warm but i kept the fans on low to sort of replicate summer heat in the pyrenees. Is that a potential marginal gain? :smile:

1684588107599.png

I needed to test out my rear disc wheel so I loaded up TrainerRoad 's Carter workout and did it outside but given it was so nice I decided I would do it again.
Screenshot_20230520-214631_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230520-214725_Connect.jpg

I was a wee bit week on the downhills partly because I didn't have a big enough gear but mainly because I am a descending wuss.

After I done the workout I stopped and took some pics. Lol, I never noticed until I was back in the flat that my damaged fingers had chillblanes despite the rest of me being very comfortable in shorts and short sleeves and the temperature never dropping below 15deg C 😂
20230520_193529.jpg

20230520_193555.jpg

20230520_193723.jpg

20230520_193744.jpg

20230520_193756.jpg

20230520_193759.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
I am in a run of crap sleep at the moment

I've had the same since last weekend's sportive. I've been busy around the house, my 'body battery' figure dropping really low each day, HRV declining also into the red. Sleep terrible.

So I decided to change my eating regime, swap it around. I don't eat breakfast (18hr intermittent fasting), normally eat from 2pm onwards till 6pm-ish. I'd eat a small lunch and larger tea, however this coupled with general tiredness meant my recovery didn't start well after going to bed-which was early in order to try to recover.

I decided to eat larger lunch and less at tea but eat at 4pm.. This has allowed me to digest my meal before bed. Since then I've had two great nights sleep, hit >95% recovery in the mornings, HRV climbed back into normal. Felt much better/fresher.

As with anything, Mrs and I have date night:smooch: with kids away, so routine blown for tonight:laugh:

You can see my stress levels continuing towards midnight

Screenshot_20230521_081518_Connect.jpg

At least, I've found a routine that aids my recovery quickly. Now with adjustment to eating time
Screenshot_20230521_081611_Connect.jpg

You may want to look at your eating routines Bob :okay:

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Andy, I don’t think so. I eat early and pretty healthily too. I have the occasional glass of wine or beer. I don’t have any difficulty getting to sleep. But, no doubt as for most of us, work and life stress can occasionally trip over into restless or disturbed sleep. I have had to deal with a work/department wide audit going back over 6y. Pretty stressful. And organising firms summer party 😁. Audit finished Friday so sleep routine slipping back into normal.
Though I may have a nightmare tonight now you’ve told us about you and your missus😁

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Glad to hear the audit’s over, Bob - hope it went smoothly.

When my sleep was suffering because of work stress, I found that late-evening exercising - of any kind :giggle: - would help me sleep through.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Had another bash at Crit Club Stage 3, did the 13:10 one. There were less riders than Friday (33 rather than 54) and the "Race Quality" was lower.

My plan was to ride more efficiently, hold on to the Feather when I got it and go at the base of the final climb.

The tactics worked with the small mod that I went as planned but only at 80% and kicked flat out a few seconds later.

This seemed to work and I scored my first Gold Medal in a while. Off outside later for some Z2 in the sun to complete my "easier" week.

View: https://youtu.be/FjPP-q7gc5U

nagden

Über Member
My weekly fartlek session today. Had my first puncture for some time but still managed some good efforts on the hills and some short fast efforts on the flat. Felt really good. Followed that up this afternoon with a visit to the doc. Last year my BP with medication was 154/96 it is now 114/69. At home I have had 98/64. I think this régime of lots of steady riding is having a real positive impact.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Sunday was a 3hr Zone 1-2 ride. The first hour was with Wendy who is going well on her new bike.

Tonight is my first go this year at the Club's "Bash" Chaingang. This is basically a through and off hour or so on a pre-defined route but where they try and rip the legs off each other. I can't decide whether to try the Fast group or Group 2. As I haven't raced this year yet and have a big race on Sunday, I'm tempted to get a taste of pain in the fast group and see how long I hang on. (Bit like going in an A Cat Race on Zwift I reckon).

Top Bottom