cyclingclueless London 2 Paris 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclingclueless

Regular
HELLO!! :welcome:

I've signed up to the London 2 Paris April 2015 4 day ride! yeah talk about a baptism of fire, I've not been cycling since my teens!! But I wanted to do something different and raise money for a fantastic cause.

as I've said its in April, from 22nd over 5 days, but I get the last day as a reward parisian style before travelling back- infact I have 202 days left. Yep! everytime I login to my donations page, there is a little countdown.

Event location:
London 2 Paris.

Ok the event is actually a managed bike ride, however I am doing this solo, no one else was crazy enough to sign up when i did.

This is to raise funds for the National Autistic Society. Their webpage is http://www.autism.org.uk/ should you wish to find out more information. I was going to choose a cancer charity to raise money for, but autism has affected me in such a personal way and is often overlooked in the fundraising ranks.

See my brother was born 10 years my junior, so I was nearing teenager age when this cute, squidgy lump of baby appeared. I still remember singing him "twinkle twinkle little star" but by the age of 3, it was clear he had difficulties- wasn't walking correctly, language was progressing slowly and would always line his toy cars, drove me insane when stepping on them!! fast forward he is now a strapping lad of 16.:eek:

here we are;
57937-b74a8d1e0860ace5706d0c0001618c9d.jpg

I've always tried to deny his disability, I know he has it, but he is on the scale of it "medium" so tried to treat him as any other kid. However my mum didn't, she used and abused his condition to get at benefits etc. He has no understanding of the outer world, work and interacting with others on a more social -casual basis. It scares me. He STILL WATCHES POWER RANGERS via YouTube. I want to support this charity for him, i want autism to be noticed, understood and hopefully through that more options and opportunities for those with autism like my brother.

Minimum sponsorship: £1,470.

I have been doing training :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:(some may recall my previous posts)

I will use this thread to record my progress and miles; as well as any charity events I am organizing, you are more than welcome to come if in the area.:hugs:

I was going to ask if each of you would donate £1 for every 50 miles mark I have achieved. I have to ride 300+ miles for this, so I have a way to go since my latest ride clocked 36 miles.

Please visit my donations page; http://www.doitforcharity.com/L2P2015

just to say thank you very much in advance for your advice, tips and support on this journey.

Sam

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 56

Tractorboy

Well you certainly have the incentive to make it happen :-)

I'm in a similar boat to you as my son has a genetic condition and is severely disabled so just working out what event to do next year to raise money as I have just got back on a bike after 20+ years of not cycling!!!

So keep on peddling, train hard and think of all the people with Autism that will benefit from your adventure.

OP
OP
cyclingclueless

cyclingclueless

Regular
hi tractorboy- yes, its difficult starting out, I just went on spur of the moment to sign up to it then chose my charity. I was thinking of a cancer charity, but then thought without been harsh, so many raise such fantastic amounts to that cause, others such as Autism or people with disabilities may get overlooked. If you do go for one perhaps consider the london to brighton, if you don't want to go as far as me - or the coast 2 coast?

please do visit my page if you have time.

regards

Good luck with this @cyclingclueless , I almost registered for it, but have an expensive year ahead.
I'm the same, I've done a lot for cancer charities, and donate on a monthly basis to Cancer Research UK and Arthritis Research UK also.
Arthritis is a lot closer these days than cancer, so I always do my fundraising for them, as I know I'll be needing their help soon.

All I can say, is don't focus too much on the miles while in the saddle, but enjoy the sights and the pace.
Hopefully I'll be following your tyre marks in 2016, ideally with someone silly enough to join me.

Lemond

Good luck to you all. I'll be heading that way (via Newhaven) in July with a small group.

Hopefully this will be the first sponsored ride of many. I want to do one or two every year.

GM

Legendary Member
The very best of luck to you @cyclingclueless. I did L2P five years ago for the NAS, that being a charity close to my heart. It's an amazing experience which you'll remember forever.
As long as you can cycle 70 miles a day comfortably you'll be fine!

OP
OP
cyclingclueless

cyclingclueless

Regular
Hi all,

I know I've been a bit quiet on here lately, hoping everyone had a lovely Xmas and new year.

I 've been busy fundraising; hosted a band night, quizzes, doughnut eating competition, overall I am only £100 away from the complete total needed, so am very happy. However the training has been hit and miss. I gave in and got a new bike with more gears, however I am finding that the handlebars are still at a stretch - the shop never really gave me a proper fit. Its much better than the first bike I had imagined would suit! (oh crumbs was I wrong when I hit a hill!)

how is everyone else getting on?

Lemond

I noticed some shoulder / neck discomfort when I switched to a new bike, but that passed very quickly. Just needed to get used to the new riding position. Do you have a LBS you could visit for a quick assessment? a very small adjustment can make a really big difference.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend did the London Paris last year. He loved it. I don't think they set much of a pace from what he was saying, which makes it a fun ride as well as a long distance.

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
Hi All

I have just singed up for the L2P in September. ive not done anything like this before except I have done the London to Brighton twice but given that its only 54 miles and only 1 day I know its going to be a real challenge but im really looking forward to it. hope all of you who are taking part this year have a fantastic ride

Top Bottom