York Cycle Rally & Festival 2024 -21-23 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikepete

Guru
Event title: York Cycle Rally & Festival 2024
Event date/s: 21-23 June 2024
Event location: Knavesmire, York YO23 1EX
Event organiser: York Rally CIC
Your relationship: Volunteer in charge of publicity
Cost of entry: £0 (free entry, parking, rides and more)
Minimum sponsorship: Not applicable
Beneficiary: York Rally Community Interest Company - all profits support future events, 100% volunteer organising team
Event link: https://www.yorkcyclefestival.org

For 2024 three all-volunteer-organised events are teaming up to create the York Cycle Festival:
  • The York Cycle Rally - The historic host event, with roots in cycle touring but welcoming every type of cyclist to the Knavesmire since 1945
  • Retrobike Show - The Retrobike forum’s northern gathering for owners and fans of retro, vintage & classic mountain and road bikes
  • National Clarion Cycle Club Summer Meet - With 2000 members in 30 sections across the UK, the NCCC will be coming to York with rides, grasstrack racing and more
All are welcome - we hope to see you there! Campsite bookings are open now!

Flyer-2024-v06-page001-1024x722.jpg

Flyer-2024-v06-page002-1024x722.jpg

simongt

Guru
Did '22 & '23 but won't be doing any more. Despite booking early for both years, was put on a camping pitch at the back of beyond with a lot of empty pitches much nearer the event site than mine. :dry: The '22 touring rides were pretty good, but last years were a waste of time and energy.:whistle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Did it once, I think it was 2017 or thereabouts.
Not planning on doing it this year due to medical issues. Highly unlikely that I will be sorted by June with current NHS waiting times.
Would you say the route is Brompton friendly?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Would you say the route is Brompton friendly?

Shouldn't be a problem for any type of bike. 100% on roads. The only long climb is out of Moffat at the 50 mile (roughly) stage. Not particularly steep but does go on for about 5 miles. The night I did it was particularly kind weather wise; even had a slight tail wind! I would highly recommend it if you are thinking about it. Worst part for me is/was the logistics of getting to the start point (need to book train space early as it is very popular, but obviously not applicable for your Brompton). Then there is the wait for the first train out of Edinburgh (to Glasgow in my case) which isn't until about 8am on a Sunday. I had finished the ride just before sunrise (as is the point of the event) about 4am... Had a traditional beer, but then what? Most people drifted off by about 5am so I headed into Edinburgh city centre and had to hang about for a couple of hours. They were LONG hours after a 100 mile overnight ride. If I was doing it again I think I would forsake the sunrise arrival and set off a bit later to arrive at Cramond for 6/7 am..... Then head into Edinburgh for a train.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Shouldn't be a problem for any type of bike. 100% on roads. The only long climb is out of Moffat at the 50 mile (roughly) stage. Not particularly steep but does go on for about 5 miles. The night I did it was particularly kind weather wise; even had a slight tail wind! I would highly recommend it if you are thinking about it. Worst part for me is/was the logistics of getting to the start point (need to book train space early as it is very popular, but obviously not applicable for your Brompton). Then there is the wait for the first train out of Edinburgh (to Glasgow in my case) which isn't until about 8am on a Sunday. I had finished the ride just before sunrise (as is the point of the event) about 4am... Had a traditional beer, but then what? Most people drifted off by about 5am so I headed into Edinburgh city centre and had to hang about for a couple of hours. They were LONG hours after a 100 mile overnight ride. If I was doing it again I think I would forsake the sunrise arrival and set off a bit later to arrive at Cramond for 6/7 am..... Then head into Edinburgh for a train.

Thanks, that’s helpful information. I’m going to see if if a couple of chums want to do it with me.

gom

Über Member
Glad to see the rally still going and I’m booked.
I know it’s not what it once was, but I enjoy a visit to York and seeing so many cyclists. Looking at the info available there may be more than last year. Think positive.
And many thanks to all working to keep it going 😊. Possibly all volunteers.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Nowt to write home about re the onsite event.
I've been and the ride was great, but the actual event itself with the stalls and what's on was rubbish I thought. Different people like different things though.

postman

Legendary Member
Lucky Days Leeds it was Costa before and a very small Costa at that,mind you i used it and sat in the upstairs window table.

Top Bottom