Cyclist and HGV Collisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockman

Über Member
Why can't this type of system be fitted by HGV/PCV manufacturers as standard, rather than relying on the operators to fit it, if they feel like it.
Like most things, self regulation doesn't work. Greed gets in the way, anything to save money to improve the directors bonus and share holders dividend!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The kit costs £500, allegedly. That is a lot of money for a small operator and they will not be inclined to pay it if they have never been in an incident.

I think the way forward is getting the big companies on board and its not easy.

Steve
Just a thought: if the company's way of profiting is to undercut, and their trucks end up killing, their insurance will (or should) go up. It's only if the insurance hike is lessened by installing what they should have had in the first place that there's any way of retaining their competitive edge. Otherwise, installing the kit is simply an added expense.

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I appreciate that, but why would a haulier spend the money if he had never caused a "funeral". They wouldnt do it just in case they might.

Steve
well i was told yesterday that I'm now a member if a new steering group (scuse the pun) to look into how we are going to make our vehicles and drivers safer around cyclists. We have not had an incident yet and it looks like the company plans to keep it that way. Some companies do care. We are not only going to concentrate on big trucks and tippers but also smaller vehicles... Pretty much everyone who drives for the company from what I understand at this stage.

simon.r

Person
well i was told yesterday that I'm now a member if a new steering group (scuse the pun) to look into how we are going to make our vehicles and drivers safer around cyclists. We have not had an incident yet and it looks like the company plans to keep it that way. Some companies do care. We are not only going to concentrate on big trucks and tippers but also smaller vehicles... Pretty much everyone who drives for the company from what I understand at this stage.

There's no doubt that the recent spate of deaths in London has made a few people think. It's horrible that it's taken this to bring it to the front of people's minds but hopefully more than one company will be thinking 'what if it was one of our vehicles?' and taking action pro-actively to prevent it happening.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The kit costs £500, allegedly. That is a lot of money for a small operator and they will not be inclined to pay it if they have never been in an incident.

I think the way forward is getting the big companies on board and its not easy.

Steve
the muckaway and skip trades are awash with money. And it's not the big hauliers that are killing people.

Adrian, It may not be a lot of money in the big scheme of things, but hauliers will not spend that money if THEY think they dont need it.

Brandene, I was just looking at the internet for the Volvo details and did not take into account twin tanks.

Steve
and that's why the rules have to change.

Like most things, it comes down to expense. Why fit a system if you have never had a problem? A small business can't justify the expense and a large firm doesn't want to fit it because it will effect the bottom line.
As a cyclist, I cannot stop a lorry or bus overtaking me or pulling up beside me and then doing a left turn, but I can stay behind it, when it stops at a junction if it's ahead of me.
and that, once again, is to miss the point

Top Bottom