Cyclist and HGV Collisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, so someone I know insists that the majority of the deaths and injuries with HGVs are due to the cyclist going up the inside at a junction.

Does there exist a list of incidents with analysis as to the cause of it? (i.e. whether the cyclist went up the inside, or they were left hooked or run into from behind etc.)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't know of any stats but presumably that ''someone'' does otherwise the assertion is unfounded. We'll know the locations and the vehicles involved. The exact circumstances will be hard to establish where there are no reliable independent witnesses.

Whilst that may be true in some cases there's other occasions when its not. For instance there's was that case where the tipper truck driver was fiddling with his notes and did not notice the poor cyclist he later killed. I think there's been cases of drivers on mobile phones/ handfree (just as bad) too. I've not got the stats but when somebody brings up the topic I'm usually accpting of the first, stress in some cases and bring up the latter and that seems to work. I might also quote my own experience where I was in a bus lane and a hgv overtook in the regular lane (met a queue) and started to cut into the bus lane. I could have been a statistic if he hadn't of reacted well to me rapping his cab door but I certainly didn't undertake.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
We've already got the "Truck Hazard" thread and the split-off thread from "Another HGV death in London". As well as "What an HGV sees of you". This particular issue is being discussed in all three. Better to merge? @Moderators

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A mothers love can change the world! Whilst a tragic event and gutwrenching to hear of her loss,I'm left wondering how many of us owe our lives to this mothers efforts on all our behalfs and don't even know it.
A heroine in my book
undoubtedly the case - but look at the price tag for the kit. To my way of thinking it doesn't seem a whole heap of money.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The kit costs £500, allegedly. That is a lot of money for a small operator and they will not be inclined to pay it if they have never been in an incident.

I think the way forward is getting the big companies on board and its not easy.

Steve

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I appreciate that, but why would a haulier spend the money if he had never caused a "funeral". They wouldnt do it just in case they might.

Steve

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Adrian, what is the relevance?

A Volvo FL costs about £270 to fill. That is 2 fill ups to fit this kit. Or in the eyes of a small haulier. He could fill up twice for the price of a kit he has never needed.

I am playing devils advocate here.

Steve

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Adrian, what is the relevance?

A Volvo FL costs about £270 to fill. That is 2 fill ups to fit this kit. Or in the eyes of a small haulier. He could fill up twice for the price of a kit he has never needed.

I am playing devils advocate here.

Steve

Don't know much about a Volvo FL, but it must have an awful small tank! I used to drive a MAN TGA which had a 480 litre tank, so at today's prices about £670 from dry (enough to get from Aberdeen airport to Heathrow with a little to spare). Some trucks have a tank on each side, so double it! I used to do rather well with my Shell points card, until they changed the rules.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Adrian, It may not be a lot of money in the big scheme of things, but hauliers will not spend that money if THEY think they dont need it.

Brandene, I was just looking at the internet for the Volvo details and did not take into account twin tanks.

Steve

clockman

Über Member
Like most things, it comes down to expense. Why fit a system if you have never had a problem? A small business can't justify the expense and a large firm doesn't want to fit it because it will effect the bottom line.
As a cyclist, I cannot stop a lorry or bus overtaking me or pulling up beside me and then doing a left turn, but I can stay behind it, when it stops at a junction if it's ahead of me.

Top Bottom