Cyclist fatalities continue to decline

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Good news, though I wonder how much correlates to less cyclists on the road?
(Post Covid boom bubble bursting)

Punkawallah

Über Member
For comparison, leukaemia killed about ten times this number, and and it’s about the same number who died falling from/through a building. I’m not going to worry myself.

Alex321

Veteran

Well being 29% down on 2013 won't be caused by reductions in cycling numbers post-covid. I would hope that enough carried on after COVID that the numbers would be higher now tan in 2013.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

They'll announce casualty rates per billion miles travelled later in the year, and over the years this figure has been declining too. It's still much higher than cars, but people do more miles by car so risk per hour travelled may be comparable.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

For comparison, leukaemia killed about ten times this number, and and it’s about the same number who died falling from/through a building. I’m not going to worry myself.

And 38,730 people died from ischaemic heart disease which cycling hopefully helps prevent.

a.twiddler

Veteran
This will upset Daily Mail editors. Perhaps they will find some other minority to demonise for a while. Or perhaps they will just carry on. No point spoiling a good ongoing story for the sake of such tedious fripperies as facts. Many things are more dangerous than cycling. "More people die from falling off furniture than from cycling" for example, doesn't have the same ring to it somehow. Compulsory helmets for furniture users? Hmm.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Sometimes the weather can have an impact
1000021802.png

presta

Guru
I wonder how much correlates to less cyclists on the road?

1705928065650.png

Billion Passenger km
Deaths

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Thanks for that.

According to those figures cycling total has returned to pre-covid levels (6bn km/yr) after peaking at 9 in 2020. There seems to be an underlying growth trend adding roughly an extra 1bn each decade.

Interestingly, the figures say that car road km took a hit during Covid (yes you'd expect that) from 698 in 2019 to 505 in 2020 but have not recovered to pre-covid (still 637 in 2022). Could be to do with the economy?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Don't worry - I'm sure a carefully-orchastrated Daily Mail campaign can get those numbers up again!

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for that.

According to those figures cycling total has returned to pre-covid levels (6bn km/yr) after peaking at 9 in 2020. There seems to be an underlying growth trend adding roughly an extra 1bn each decade.

Interestingly, the figures say that car road km took a hit during Covid (yes you'd expect that) from 698 in 2019 to 505 in 2020 but have not recovered to pre-covid (still 637 in 2022). Could be to do with the economy?

A lot of car use is commuting, and a significant number of office work employers have stuck with hybrid working, so fewer people commuting each day.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The volume of cycling traffic in the 1950s is unbelievable especially since the population was so much smaller!

Yes, but, few people had cars.

In 1952 I lived in a street of approximately 100 houses (mixture of 2/3 bedroom social housing, or, Council Houses as they were called then), there was 1 car in the whole street. The same street now is almost impassable with parked cars.

Top Bottom