Cyclist assaulted by the council?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leroy

Cyclist in Bolton hit by ball of tape in Bolton - by the council!? Disgusting if it turns out to be true.

A CYCLIST claims he fell off his bike after he was struck on the head by a ball of tape thrown from a council refuse van.

Police are now investigating an allegation of assault said to have happened around 2.40pm on Friday in Crompton Way.

The incident happened when Darren Booth, aged 33, was cycling along Crompton Way near to his home in St Bees Road, Tonge Moor, after picking up his bike from being serviced at Leisure Lakes Bikes in Bury.

He said: “I was cycling along Crompton Way and a bin wagon actually slowed down at the side of me, when something was thrown and hit me on the head. It knocked me off my bike.

“I jumped back on my bike and tried to pedal up quickly to get the registration but it carried on driving and speeded up.

“I was absolutely disgusted.

I am lucky I wasn’t injured, and I just hope my bike is ok.

“I was in shock. I wouldn’t expect anybody to do that but the people must have been having a good laugh in the front. If it was an accident it is a bit uncanny that it hit me on the head. I was shaking when I got home from anger and from shock.”

He initially thought the brown object was a takeaway bag, but returned to the scene and discovered it was a ball of brown tape.

Mr Booth, an upholster at Saxon Leather Upholstery in Manchester Road, added: “It hasn’t put me off cycling but it will make me more wary. I just can’t believe someone would do that. I have never been knocked off my bike before.”

A Bolton Council spokesman said: “We are aware of this complaint and we are looking into it.”

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: “An appointment with the man has been made after it was reported at 5.30pm on Friday that a man was assaulted when a large ball of tape was thrown from a Bolton Council bin wagon.”

Bolton News

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Helmet thread :whistle:

Top Bottom