Cyclist Blind Spot Haptic Feedback Device

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukenugent

Hi everyone! I am part of a start up creating a new way to increase cyclist's awareness when out on the roads! We are developing an electronic device that acts as a radar for the cyclist's blindspot and will alert the user of any vehicles approaching from behind through vibration motors placed on the user's shoulders.
We would really appreciate any feedback through this survey! Many thanks!

Link -> https://forms.gle/yjDR756d4qCBz93Z8

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Why not address the problem of changing society's approach to travel instead of another gimmick that ultimately just keeps the car as the premium vehicle on the road!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not keen on answers that require answering, the answers supplied are not always relevant.

Can you explain how you get past the first page?
Every question answered, on the firstpl page, but stuck on the first page. Unable to complete.

Why not address the problem of changing society's approach to travel instead of another gimmick that ultimately just keeps the car as the premium vehicle on the road!
:laugh:
Who's going to give finance for that business? ^_^

Not keen on answers that require answering, the answers supplied are not always relevant.
I agree. Some very poor questions, some poor answer options too.
Absolutely no attempt made to provide information on who is asking and why either.
If this genuinely is a start up (and not a student project) I can't imagine the information harvested will be of much relevance.

Yup
Form needs more info about who and what the survey is for
and how the data will be used

As it captures the email address (displays it at the top) then it is collecting personal information
but there is no GDPR type information - is the company even registered to store the data??

Any professional company - including a 'start up' should know all this

looks like an amateur set up
and if it isn;t - or hope to become a proper professional business - then they need to check out how to do proper surveys and the legal requirements for collecting data

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sign in to Google? No thanks

We are getting too many of these servers on here

In all fairness, this is the research & questionnaires subforum.

Cyclists are generally aware of other traffic
Generally, yes, but it's the time they're not aware that exposes them/us to the most risk.
I consider myself to be quite alert but can recall specific times when I wasn't. There's a reason I can recall them so vividly.

With the growth of both EVs and Ebikes cyclists can be deprived of a major source of warning - engine noise.

A lot of people don't cycle because of a fear. A well designed device like this could help some people become more adventurous.

I agree that the concept it a good one

I have been surprised by a passing cyclist several times - as I ride an ebike I tend to be slightly faster than a normal leisure cyclist - but clearly a 'proper' cyclist on a road bike passes me easily
but I often hear nothing until they suddenly appear over my rigth shoulder (a bell would be nice!!!!)

clearly a mirror would help - if no-one gets me one for Christmas (I have dropped hints!!) I will look for one - but a thing like this would cover all sorts of vehicles approaching, including silent ones

It just needs a cheap(ish) and well researched solution to the problem

Mike_P

Guru
The improvement needed over what is available is to retain the alert when a vehicle behind has slowed to your speed and is within a close range. The Varia only detects a vehicle when it is approaching at a faster speed. Not that it should be beyond Garmin to sought that out.

The improvement needed over what is available is to retain the alert when a vehicle behind has slowed to your speed and is within a close range. The Varia only detects a vehicle when it is approaching at a faster speed. Not that it should be beyond Garmin to sought that out.

Varia shows the distance in the right hand margin until its gone on the models I bluejack into on group rides 😉. Seeing yourself approaching the radar owner ahead is mildly fun, though much easier on a descent as I'm a bit of a bloater.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
MIght be useful for people who ride in headphones or who are hard of hearing but, otherwise, the ears do a very good job of identifying and locating traffic from behind.

Top Bottom