Cyclist crushed by bus on Oxford Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sorry, I didn't know I was not allowed to post my own opinion.
Must I quote similar opinions and say +1?
I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry. I meant I was agreeing with you.

Tynan

Veteran
there seems to be the distinct subtext that the procedures are fine so this can happen again, perhaps even with this same driver?

I'd say this is an excuse anyway, it was plain shoot driving

abo

I find this verdict hard to understand. It's impossible to imagine what this has done to the family.

'Today Miss Helliwell's family said they felt "no animosity" towards Mr Lewars after he was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving'

Very generous of them. Personally I'd be wanting heads to be rolling, starting with the driver WTF was he doing behind the wheel if he knew he had a nerve disorder. Completely out of order IMHO, and that's coming from a confirmed petrolhead.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
'Today Miss Helliwell's family said they felt "no animosity" towards Mr Lewars after he was cleared of causing death by dangerous driving'

Very generous of them. Personally I'd be wanting heads to be rolling, starting with the driver WTF was he doing behind the wheel if he knew he had a nerve disorder. Completely out of order IMHO, and that's coming from a confirmed petrolhead.
Amen to that! I would be out for blood!

Zoiders

I am not quite sure how revenge helps.

He killed woman because of a stupid mistake and I am sure he feels like shoot about it, he is also 60 years old and now on the employment scrap heap.

No one wins in this case.

abo

I am not quite sure how revenge helps.

He killed woman because of a stupid mistake and I am sure he feels like shoot about it, he is also 60 years old and now on the employment scrap heap.

No one wins in this case.

'where is justice, where is punishment' (to quote The Punisher lol)

In all seriousness, this guy appears to have gotten away with killing a young lady who would be alive today had he not driven his bus with a nerve problem. I wouldn't drive in that condition. I used to do a job which involved a lot of driving and I would have gone on the sick, or asked to be doing something else while I recouperated.

There were other options open to this guy which didn't involve him driving his bus that day and to me it smacks of gross negligence. I think if it had been my daughter who had been squashed then I wouldn't feel justice had been served.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
'where is justice, where is punishment' (to quote The Punisher lol)

In all seriousness, this guy appears to have gotten away with killing a young lady who would be alive today had he not driven his bus with a nerve problem. I wouldn't drive in that condition. I used to do a job which involved a lot of driving and I would have gone on the sick, or asked to be doing something else while I recouperated.

There were other options open to this guy which didn't involve him driving his bus that day and to me it smacks of gross negligence. I think if it had been my daughter who had been squashed then I wouldn't feel justice had been served.
Either he or the company are in my eyes guilty of manslaughter.

More details here

Prosecutor Barry Gregory explained that the CPS had decided to offer no evidence in the case because “it is not now sure that the prosecution could reach the high standard of proving, so that the jury would be sure, that Mr Lewars drove far below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver given those medical circumstances in which it has already been shown that he would not have been able to forsee the sciatica coming on in the way in which it did, causing him to press the accelerator rather than to press or try to press the brake.”

Mr Lewars’ bus hit Miss Helliwell’s bike and then collided with another bus, before hitting a bus shelter.

gregsid

Bless her. Prayers to her and her family.
sad.gif

Top Bottom