Cyclist down - A56 Sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I witnessed an accident this morning on Cross Street Sale here

I don't want to go into the details too much at this stage as I'm waiting to hear back from the cyclist.

The cyclist didn't appear to be badly injured (was holding his knee) but he asked for me to phone an ambulance and one arrived within 5 minutes or so.

The driver involved in the collision decided to disappear and left no details - fortunately it appears that he works locally and his car will be on CCTV.

Lets just say I was appalled by his behaviour. :angry:

Hope the cyclist is OK - I left my details and told him to phone CTC (I scribbled this message down for him so hopefully this will jog his memory). :sad:

Taks care out there fellas - things like this remind me of how vulnerable we are and why I avoid some roads.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hope he is OK. Anyone get a reg ?

potsy

Rambler
Not one of my favourite roads around here that one, good on you for helping and lets hope the driver is traced and dealt with.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Spoke to the cyclist tonight - just a few bruises fortunately.

The driver apparently handed himself in at the local police station later in the morning.

I put him on the the Russell etc cycling lawyers that C2C use.

Hopefully I have built up some karma in my life.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That road is bad and some ! If it's not motorists causing trouble then it's the disgusting state it's in especially kerb side.Riding down it tomorrow night and i always dread it.
Hope the cyclist is OK,pity the motorist did not feel it was a serious offence to knock a cyclist over and not stop at the time,thankfully they saw sense and handed themselves in.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
That road is bad and some ! If it's not motorists causing trouble then it's the disgusting state it's in especially kerb side.Riding down it tomorrow night and i always dread it.
Hope the cyclist is OK,pity the motorist did not feel it was a serious offence to knock a cyclist over and not stop at the time,thankfully they saw sense and handed themselves in.

He did stop Skud and his attitude was appaling-in another universe I would have knocked the fecker flat out.

I avoid the road like the plague. Is there not another way you can do it? Through Sale centre via Dane Rd, onto Brooklands and using Walton Rd is a good option.

straas

Matt
He did stop Skud and his attitude was appaling-in another universe I would have knocked the fecker flat out.

I avoid the road like the plague. Is there not another way you can do it? Through Sale centre via Dane Rd, onto Brooklands and using Walton Rd is a good option.

Depends where you're going, I use the canal path between sale and stretford, runs parallel to chester road and you can easily do 20+ on it due to the resurfacing

Long Distance

this is on my (old) route - what time of day did it happen??

the A56 through Sale is utterly appalling and it's a deathtrap of a road up there - if it's not the potholes and uneven road surface it's the broken and badly marked cycle lanes and constant stop-start traffic

i cycle from Timperley to Salford Quays but nowadays i go pretty much the majority of the way up the canal - it's far less dangerous and really quite serene compared to the madness of that road at peak times

Long Distance

hey actually, looking at that junction on Google maps, i was quite recently almost left-hooked by a guy in a white astra van at the turning into Atkinson road - when i stopped to politely mention to him that he nearly hit me, he proceeded to pretty-much threaten to kill me - that was quite an experience

Long Distance

About 7:30 IIRC.

How is the canal path for road bikes?

some sections are OK - the section between Brooklands -> Sale -> Stretford isn't too bad as it's gravel & paved - the section between Timperley & Brooklands is pretty bad though as it's just (pretty knackered) uneven bare ground

i do it on a cyclocross bike with 35c tyres and it's fine for me - not sure about road bike tyres, although i do see people on road bikes going up & down there on occasion (slower than others!)

Top Bottom