Cyclist Down - Derby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Saw my first injured cyclist today, shook me up a fair bit.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...9yImVnAVlpRHPPnKA1fsFA&cbp=12,224.39,,0,14.54

On the corner of the turning/junction here, guy lying on the pavement with a small crowd around him and several cars parked up. I stopped to see if he was one of the cyclists from work but didn't recognise him, so with nothing to offer I got on my way. He didn't seem to be too seriously hurt (I hope), he was conscious, and when someone tried to move him he shouted NO and kicked his legs a bit. Don't want to speculate too much as to what happened but have almost been caught out myself once or twice by people turning left out of that junction with a car blocking their view turning left. This would have been around 6pm this evening and the sun would have been coming down behind him which may have been a factor.

Hope he's ok.

Hope he's ok.

Amen to that.

It's a tricky junction in many ways - that stretch of the A52 is very busy and quite often I see vehicles not sure whether / how far they should move into the central reservation area. Plus you tend to get people following the vehicle in front without thinking whether there's going to be room for them when they reach the central area.

Hope whoever it was is ok.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what time was it?, i hope its no one i know from work.

Who ever it was i hope they are ok.

Edit i see 6 pm so it would not have been anyone i know .

Arch

Married to Night Train
f***ing morons!

No doubt getting the nuisance off the road was the main thinking

OP says he was on the pavement.

While I agree it's better not to move someone, especially unconsious, something sounds a bit odd - his shout, and 'kicking his legs out'. If you were really concerned about being moved for the sake of injury, why kick your legs about? If you thought you'd hurt yourself badly, and knew enough to know you shouldn't be moved, you'd stay as still as you could.

From what we know, which is really bugger all, he might have been pissed and fell off...

Arch

Married to Night Train
The cyclist who I came across a month ago who'd had a nasty fall off his bike had, by his own admission, downed four pints before the accident - at 5.20 on a Friday afternoon!

Easily done for some - finish work early, Friday lunchtime, get down the boozer... Hot day perhaps, forget to have any lunch...

Not me, I'm barely capable of walking after a couple of pints, let alone riding a bike.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I suppose if you've got a broken collarbone or ribs you might not appreciate someone grabbing you to "help you up". Could be why he kicked out, though only a guess

Arch

Married to Night Train
I suppose if you've got a broken collarbone or ribs you might not appreciate someone grabbing you to "help you up". Could be why he kicked out, though only a guess

Oh quite, I just felt it was worth considering all sides.

I know it depends on the people, but in a small crowd, one might assume that there was someone who, if not actually trained in first aid, knew it was best not to move someone without checking them for injury...

But then I've been on a first aid course today, so I'm an expert medic.

Although one who can't bear to look at a photo of a dislocated finger...

Top Bottom