Cyclist down in Leicester & idiot drives off unaware of anything

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Finn

Rush hour traffic along london road so no-one is rushing including me in the cycle lane. Junction up ahead has short asian woman in dark car, only looking left - she cuts across the lane and makes for a gap someone has had to leave for her. I brake allowing her to continue her blind drive onto city streets and slowly continue on the lane by the back side of her.

A couple of metres on she inexplicably makes for the kerb via the cycle lane- I'm looking right at her not using the mirrors and try to slow down when her turn takes her into my right side and takes me off the bike and sprawling into the road. Was nowhere to go. I tried to knock her window to alert her but the inevitable came my way.

Thanks to the woman behind me who stopped and stayed stopped so i could hobble with the bike to the pavement and then reclaim my now knackered speedo.

The driver will sleep easy tonight since her lack of any view left from approaching that junction to joining traffic to knocking me off to driving away home involved no use of her eyes or her mirrors. I'll sleep with bruised ribs and twisted knee and a gash on the hip.

Broken guards, scuffed pedal and twisted Sti on the right ( shall check the know how section shortly) - Going slow probably saved further damage but that will get checked later i guess.

I hope the lass behind me managed to catch the car and reoprts her number

Still Alive though
Happy cycling everyone!

ThePainInSpain

Rush hour traffic along london road so no-one is rushing including me in the cycle lane. Junction up ahead has short asian woman in dark car, only looking left - she cuts across the lane and makes for a gap someone has had to leave for her.

Interesting to see that things are still the same.

I used to use that route to commute (by car) 20 years ago.

I vividly remember the 'driver-less' Mercs and BMW's, being driven by short Asian women, who could barely see over the dashboard. All dropping their brats children off at the private nurseries along that road.
It was a nightmare then, so can only imagine what it's like now.

At least your Ok.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Ouch Finn that's a nasty experience.

I hope you and the bike are quickly on the mend and there's no lasting damage.

I can't see how so many drivers seem to have completely no knowledge either of how to use mirrors or the fact that they have just hit someone/something.
angry.gif

(edited for grammar)

- Baz -

Ouch Finn that's a nasty experience.

I hope you and the bike are quickly on the mend and their's no lasting damage.
+1. Sincerely hope this doesn't happen again, Finn, but next time try shouting 'Oi!!' as loud as you can as soon as you sense your space is being invaded - even a bit. Scares the sh*t out of 'em! And rightly so...

OP
OP
Finn

Finn

+1. Sincerely hope this doesn't happen again, Finn, but next time try shouting 'Oi!!' as loud as you can as soon as you sense your space is being invaded - even a bit. Scares the sh*t out of 'em! And rightly so...

Forgot to mention the clourfully worded shout as i slowed 6ft from her drivers window Baz . it involved the words eyes, use , your and something rhyming with 'clucking' . shook my head as usual and carried on into the events. If its helps i also shouted something equally colourful when i hit the road but cant remember exactly how that went

Some years ago one evening I was cycling home to Crawley from the stables where I kept my horses, the Roffey road to Pease Pottage is in the main a dark and winding fast country road; I Had just got to a point near to the golf driving range in Pease Pottage, when things when black for awhile, when I come to I was surrounded by cars and people, they had dragged me to the side of the road, and all looked very concerned.

The Ambulance had been called loads of Police turned up. Of course I was confused as to what had happened. It turned out that a women driver had driven into me, because it turned out she was watching the people in the golf driving range.

Her sin which cost her dearly, the police man told me that after running into me and knocking me off the bike she then partly drove over me, then because I was in the way she reversed back over me and drove off. Another driver had raced after her and forced into what is now the black swan pub car park and kept her there, until a policeman come to arrest her.

She then denied it to the policeman, even though parts of my bike were imbedded in the front of her car. After being taken to hospital apart from being badly bruised I only had two broken fingers..Dammed lucky

In court she pleaded guilty, told the Judge she panicked as she though she had killed me.

But before she went to court her husband come knocking on the door asking me to drop the charges, which gave me great pleasure in telling him that it was a police matter they were the one‘s charging her, she was lucky, her lawyer saved her from jail, but the fine was massive and banned from driving for some years.

I did that once, the driver got out of the car to have a go, but decided that maybe that it was a bad move, got back into the car and bugged off after I explained to him that he was a fat little Clucker, and I was a very fit member of her Majesty Armed forces trained to beat the crap out of little Clucker..LOL.

OP
OP
Finn

Finn

I did that once, the driver got out of the car to have a go, but decided that maybe that it was a bad move, got back into the car and bugged off after I explained to him that he was a fat little Clucker, and I was a very fit member of her Majesty Armed forces trained to beat the crap out of little Clucker..LOL.

:laugh: I might use that line next time Ticktock ! as for your accident tale... ! :ohmy: ! ... I cant believe they actually reversed back over you. Full marks to the driver chasing her down though.

Tynan

Veteran
yes, the driverless car pops up on my commute on a regular basis, on closer examination it turns out to be someone so short they patently can't see over the wheel/dasghboard properly

:laugh: I might use that line next time Ticktock ! as for your accident tale... ! :ohmy: ! ... I cant believe they actually reversed back over you. Full marks to the driver chasing her down though.

yes, but people do the most amasing things when they panic, she was lucky that she did not kill me, cos I would still be haunting her..LOL

Top Bottom