Cyclist down in Richmond Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Going ACW just before Dark hill at about 2pm today . No cars parked up on the side of the cyclist but two and an ambulance on the CW side with police directing traffic . The cyclist was totally covered with a jacket and didn't seem to be moving .

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Fingers crossed

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Horrible. I loved cycling in Richmond Park but allowing cars in there is lunacy.
As a cyclist I agree BUT it is a very nice park for family days out and isn't a race track . I remember going there as a kid to see the deer rutting from the safety of a car . It pisses me off when people do it while I am there on the bike but you cant really grumble as its a park for everyone .
I understand they close the gates to cars every day but not sure of the times . I assume it dusk till dawn . Maybe we should go then as its still open to the public .
I was nearly taken out myself in there today by someone that overtook past their line of vision and then slowed down and pulled back in . I was still at the passenger door and he was still slowing down . I think if I had braked I would have been pushed onto the grass so I pushed a bit and got in front . Maybe not the best plan but I was farked and needed to make a decision .

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
As a cyclist I agree BUT it is a very nice park for family days out and isn't a race track . I remember going there as a kid to see the deer rutting from the safety of a car . It ****es me off when people do it while I am there on the bike but you cant really grumble as its a park for everyone .
I understand they close the gates to cars every day but not sure of the times . I assume it dusk till dawn . Maybe we should go then as its still open to the public .
I was nearly taken out myself in there today by someone that overtook past their line of vision and then slowed down and pulled back in . I was still at the passenger door and he was still slowing down . I think if I had braked I would have been pushed onto the grass so I pushed a bit and got in front . Maybe not the best plan but I was ****ed and needed to make a decision .

Is it a short cut or is it used as some sort of wildlife park? The dear are amazing!

I had a driver overtaking a cyclist coming the other way, and in doing so he ended up on my side of the road driving head on towards me. I didn't like it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I go there quite a bit and, by and large, the standard of driving is pretty good. Motorists tend to stick to the 20mph speed limit.As AC mentioned above, people tend to pass wide and forget about cyclists coming in the other direction, classic "Target Fixation".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Is it a short cut or is it used as some sort of wildlife park? The dear are amazing!

I had a driver overtaking a cyclist coming the other way, and in doing so he ended up on my side of the road driving head on towards me. I didn't like it.
I guess its a short cut during the week and stopping that would cause mayhem on the roads . Most of the times I am there its people with kids and couples so they are on a day out I guess .
As for your situation , drivers do tend to overtake cyclists very wide and you cant blame them for that but as you know they don't look at what is coming at them unless it another car . Both doing 20MPH :whistle: that's quite an impact for the cyclist .

PK99

Legendary Member
Horrible. I loved cycling in Richmond Park but allowing cars in there is lunacy.

Why?

it is a leisure facility for the whole community, not a cyclist and walkers playground. When my kids were small, driving into the park, parking and walking was a regular activity

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
On the whole drivers were brilliant, exemplary, considerate. I loved it.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Why?

it is a leisure facility for the whole community, not a cyclist and walkers playground. When my kids were small, driving into the park, parking and walking was a regular activity

I live in Suffolk, this was the first time I have ever cycled in big bad London. This is first impressions. The friend I was with has lived in London for a few years and viewed every situation during my visit very differently to how I did.

PK99

Legendary Member

as a regular cyclist around the park (most weeks i will do a triple circuit when a longer ride is not possible) I am held up more frequently by cars sticking to the 20mph limit (I know....i know....) than i am caused problems by inconsiderate motorists overtaking. In fact, especially at the weekend it is chain gangs of cyclists who cause problems for lone cyclists.

In answer to your question : it is both, ie a leisure facility and a short cut.

L14M

Über Member
I've only been richmond park one but i'd like to see a car park right at the gate, people could walk it?

Top Bottom