Cyclist down Littlehampton, West Sussex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
That's bad news.

It is reported this:
The car involved in the crash drove off from the scene
What, all by itself?

A man has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop
So the car wasn't arrested.

I really wish the reporting was of a higher standard.

icowden

Veteran
To be fair, I think that's direct from the Police rather than bad reporting. The Police will report that the car drove off , as at this point they cannot reliably prove who was driving it.

They have arrested a man under suspicion of failing to stop because at the moment they will be trying to gather evidence that proves he was driving the vehicle rather than say being a passenger or someone who has taken over driving the car. It's a rather factual statement, but the Police do tend to stick to facts.

They won't say that he did it until there is evidence to submit to the CPS, and they have decided to prosecute.

Slick

Guru
Terrible. There was another in Glasgow yesterday but fortunately the cyclist was released from hospital after treatment. Still happening far too often though.

Thoughts with family and friends.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Someone drove the car away" would cover it better. There's no excuse for blaming the car. I bet it didn't want to flee.

Thoughts with those affected, of course.

D

Deleted member 26715

That's bad news.

It is reported this:
The car involved in the crash drove off from the scene
What, all by itself?

A man has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop
So the car wasn't arrested.

I really wish the reporting was of a higher standard.
Having a bad day?

Did anybody reading that article believe the car drove off by itself?

The tragedy is the death of the cyclist, not the way the report was written. Get some perspective here.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Did anybody reading that article believe the car drove off by itself?

The tragedy is the death of the cyclist, not the way the report was written. Get some perspective here.

I agree it shouldn't be the focus of this thread but the topic of poor reporting styles in these tragedies is worth discussing. A separate thread would be better.

Top Bottom