Cyclist down .... on guided busway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hope he gets well soon, wouldn't wish injury on anyone. It does seem a very strange place to think "Oh this looks ok for cycling on". Assuming you don't get injured, you've got plenty of opportunity to wreck your wheels!

It was probably an enormous surprise to him to actually find a bus on it if he's local. The whole guided busway has been a rather long drawn out saga

OP
OP
C

Camgreen

It was probably an enormous surprise to him to actually find a bus on it if he's local. The whole guided busway has been a rather long drawn out saga

.... And costly Redlight .... you forgot to mention costly
thumbsup.png

It's a badly written piece but one assumes the guy can't have been hit by the bus, but 'stumbles into' the bus from the opposite track makes little sense.

Its the CEN, badly written (an anti cyclist) is its trademark ;)

Sounds like a variant of what the Americans call a Single Witness Suicide Swerve where the only surviving witness swears the now deceased cyclist suddenly swerved into their path.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The firm I work for did the groundwork for this a year or two ago. Odd place to be cycling. It's worth noting that this is exactly what the West of England partnership quango had in mind for the Bristol to Bath Railway Path.

http://www.railwaypath.org/

The idea was 'shelved' about 3 years ago but on inspecting the current transport plan for Bristol, I noted some suspicious looking dashed lines on the map of the city going up the path with the words 'route not assigned' for Bus Rapid Transit.

That article answers another question for me (what are guided buses?) Seem like a cross between tram and train. Nice idea.

NOT!

We have one being built along the cycle track in Gosport.

We had to fight for a long time to retain access to this path, and finally won, but there is still a pedestrian ban on the route

I cycle up and down here every day, the stupid thing is he was cycling on the bus rails on a section where they had laid tarmac on the access track at the side. So why he was on there when to the left its like 9 foot wide with the smoothest tarmac laid I have ever cycled down is beyond belief.

The section to the north is not finished yet, but due to be tarmac as well, but after this story today I gave it a miss and cycled along the roads.

When finished it will simply the the most fantastic cycle path in the world. 13 miles or so of super as smooth tarmac, no cars..... bliss

pshore

Yep, although still officially a construction site, locals have been using it for well over a year and its been fab. It was effectively in a mothballed state until 6 weeks ago, when construction activity started again.

The council put out a lot of notices when they started to do test runs, started laying tarmac etc. It's quite impressive that a local could not know about the current state of the Guided Bus. You would have to avoid reading the local paper; Cambridge Cycle Campaign info; quarterly council magazine delivered to every house; notices taped to the entrance and exits of the GB; and water cooler/pub chat.

For more piccies and info, I made this blog post two weeks ago: Cambridgeshire Guided Bus TT

Top Bottom