Cyclist down on towpath in Brum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No cars?

You can be extremely vulnerable at times, I am often out and about on tracks that don't get many visitors. I have wondered what would happen to me if I had a big off and there was no one around to help.
I always have my mobile for emergencies of course, but there's no guarantee that you will have a signal.

My missus always says that one day i'll be found in a ditch still clutching my bike.

Norm

addictfreak said:
I always have my mobile for emergencies of course, but there's no guarantee that you will have a signal.
And no guarantee that you'll retain the dexterity to use it.

This is something which I've considered plenty since someone I know came off over an unseen tree root near Frensham. He'll spend his life in a wheel chair but he was lucky to have been found in time.

Congrats, MrP, and thanks for helping a random human. I hope that you never get a chance to be rewarded in kind for your efforts today.

Scratch

Über Member
I came off on the canal once, hit a corner too quick on the brakes and the bike slid out from under me. Those bricks can be very slippy. Another guy in the office did a similar thing but fell in!

Glad the guy had some people there to help him, canals can be dangerous, especially with the geese. On came flying at me the other day hissing away!

dondare said:
Was it qr wheel?

I know what you are thinking, did he yank the brake on and have it pop the wheel off the forks, can happen with disc brakes if there are no lugs or worn lugs on the bottom of the fork. At least there was someone there to take care of him before he staggered into the canal and drowned, well done Mr P.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hope he feels better soon, hopefully he will inform you that he is okay and thank you for your assistance when he is in a state to do so.

dondare

Über Member
Catrike UK said:
I know what you are thinking, did he yank the brake on and have it pop the wheel off the forks, can happen with disc brakes if there are no lugs or worn lugs on the bottom of the fork. At least there was someone there to take care of him before he staggered into the canal and drowned, well done Mr P.

I once read of an accident that seems identical to this one; a dazed and bloodied cyclist was discovered on a towpath with no idea as to what had happened. One theory was that his front wheel had flicked up a stone which had knocked the qr lever. It seems to me that this would take some force.

I was once thrown off my bike (which was also badly damaged) when a bit of debris kicked up by the wheel jammed between either the tyre and fork crown or the rim and brakes. At any rate, that is the only explanation that I could think of.

Top Bottom