Cyclist down - Seamill/West Kilbride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today a friend and I were riding to Portencross Castle via Seamill and happened upon the immediate aftermath of what looked like a major incident involving a cyclist in the southbound lane on the A78. There was already a group of people around him and he had been put in the recovery position so there was nothing for us to do so we moved on.

There is no information about this online but it didn't look good. When we returned an hour later the southbound lane was closed by police.

I really hope he's ok :-(

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cannot find this incident but it does not appear to be a good road to cycle on. I hope the cyclist is ok.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a78...9i450.266876231j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

boydj

Legendary Member
It's a fast main road, not too narrow and well used by cyclists. Sounds bad if the police have closed a section for investigation.

bruce1530

Guru
Not heard anything locally - I live about 5 miles south.
Which bit of the road was it on? That particular stretch usually isn't too bad, although can be busy.

@steveindenmark - most of the accidents in that search above are further south - the south half of the road, from Ardrossan to Prestwick, is dual carriageway, and more like a motorway in places. Not a road I';d choose to cycle on, although the local cycling clubs do TTs on it.

The northern half - Ardrossan/Seamill/Largs/Wemyss Bay/Gourock - mainly hugs the coast, single carriageway in each direction. I cycle the northern half most weekends, and always lots of other bikes. There are parallel cycle paths for maybe half of it, the rest is on the main road.

bruce1530

Guru
That's nasty. It's quite a steep downhill going south. There are now traffic lights at the junction at the top off the hill, but cyclists can be going relatively fast there. There's quite a lot of "ironworks' on the road at the bottom of the hill, but I think the surface is OK at that point.

I've had lots of close passes going up the hill, not many coming down.

Top Bottom