Cyclist down...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Blimey this seems to be happenning a lot lately doesnt it?Terrible news.
It seems to be heading the way of crimewatch uk,where they show you all those crimes,and then say at the end dont worry its unlikely to happen to you?Makes you extra vigilant while out eh.

MartinC

Über Member
Terrible news. Interesting that the reporting avoids the usual weasel words and says directly that the cyclist was "struck" by the car

PaulB

Legendary Member
MartinC said:
Terrible news. Interesting that the reporting avoids the usual weasel words and says directly that the cyclist was "struck" by the car

What do you want them to say at this early stage in the enquiry?

MartinC

Über Member
It was an observation not a request. In my experience reports like this are often expressed euphemistically. I thought the use of plain english was correct and unusual enough to be noteworty. "Struck" doesn't imply any blame but does describe what's reported to have happened.

Dave5N

Über Member
MartinC said:
It was an observation not a request. In my experience reports like this are often expressed euphemistically. I thought the use of plain english was correct and unusual enough to be noteworty. "Struck" doesn't imply any blame but does describe what's reported to have happened.

You're right. The usual press formula is 'collided with a car'

Somehow to me this implies the rider hit the car, not the car the rider. Imputes responsibility without legal difficulties.

They even used this after the Rhyl tragedy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tharg2007 said:
the increasing frequency of collisions is frightening

What makes you think this?

I suspect that overall collisions involving cyclists are up, but that the rate is much reduced.

Top Bottom