Cyclist killed in police pursuit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Obviously there will be an enquiry and all that but that driver didn't care who he hit.

First thought for the cyclist, I hope he/She recovers.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have no knowledge of this particular case, but all pursuits require authorisation from a tactical adviser of at least inspector rank. There's usually one or more knocking around a control room for that very reason. Spontaneous pursuits can occur, but they quickly need authorising before they can continue.

The necessity of the pursuit and its subsequent authorisation are always reviewed where there is an injury or fatality.

An example of how far reaching those enquiries are. Many moons back a friend of mine was on a marked police bike stuck in heavy Friday evening traffic. Unbeknownst to him a villain on a stolen moped spots him. Villain panics, tries to mount the kerb on the stolen bike to escape down an alley way, falls off, breaks his leg. My chum had no actual involvement and didn't even know about it until long afterwards. Despite his lack of involvement and a room full of witnesses who confirmed this, his motorbike ticket was suspended for nearly a year while it was investigated. Thats how seriously it's taken.

PS, if anyone was wondering he told them to shove it when they tried to reinstate him. One less (trained at great expense) traffic officer because of a heavy handed approach, and they wonder why no one wants to do the role any more.

stowie

Legendary Member
This happened just down the road from me. The cyclist was named as Zakeri Hussain. He has a wife in Iran and 10 month old baby who he has never seen. Zakeri is currently in a coma with head and spinal injuries - doctors give him a 10% chance of survival.

Local friends are trying to raise money for his wife and child to come to the UK so they can at least say goodbye to him if the worst happens.

No reports on whether the driver was caught. Apparently he hit several parked cars as well as the cyclist before fleeing on foot. The road was shut for most of the next day for the forensic investigation.

This story seems even more tragic because his family is so far away. I hope they catch the excuse for a human who would run after causing such carnage and throw the book at him.

stowie

Legendary Member
@classic33 pointed out to me that the donation link is in a local news story at

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne...s_to_reunite_injured_cyclist_with_his_family/

Thanks @classic33 - I had read that article but either the link was added after I read it, or I am less good at reading than I thought!

mustang1

Guru
Hit by the car the police were chasing at the time.

A cyclist who was hit by a BMW being pursued by an unmarked police car in north-east London has been "critically injured".

Police say they are searching for the driver, who fled the scene on Forest Road, Walthamstow, at about 01:00 BST.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-44093280

That's a bummer.

I wonder why the news story says it's a BMW, does it make a difference? Is it supposed to evoke emotions about BMW drivers? It could have been an electric i3 or a hot rod M5. Why should they care and if they mention it, then why not go into details of model type etc.

Actually I'm interested in what the under cover police car was. They use BMW too don't they?

Sorry for the side track.

U

User65906

I have no knowledge of this particular case, but all pursuits require authorisation from a tactical adviser of at least inspector rank. There's usually one or more knocking around a control room for that very reason. Spontaneous pursuits can occur, but they quickly need authorising before they can continue.

The necessity of the pursuit and its subsequent authorisation are always reviewed where there is an injury or fatality.

An example of how far reaching those enquiries are. Many moons back a friend of mine was on a marked police bike stuck in heavy Friday evening traffic. Unbeknownst to him a villain on a stolen moped spots him. Villain panics, tries to mount the kerb on the stolen bike to escape down an alley way, falls off, breaks his leg. My chum had no actual involvement and didn't even know about it until long afterwards. Despite his lack of involvement and a room full of witnesses who confirmed this, his motorbike ticket was suspended for nearly a year while it was investigated. Thats how seriously it's taken.

PS, if anyone was wondering he told them to shove it when they tried to reinstate him. One less (trained at great expense) traffic officer because of a heavy handed approach, and they wonder why no one wants to do the role any more.
Always the same, rights of the criminal have to be upheld, what a joke,
if people decide to do wrong their rights should be suspended, their day should be F***** up,
not anyone else's.
Maybe outsourcing imprisoning criminals to Putin would help,
these wasters get off too easy.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Always the same, rights of the criminal have to be upheld, what a joke,
if people decide to do wrong their rights should be suspended, their day should be F***** up,
not anyone else's.
Maybe outsourcing imprisoning criminals to Putin would help,
these wasters get off too easy.

Pineapple or fried egg ?

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a bummer.

I wonder why the news story says it's a BMW, does it make a difference? Is it supposed to evoke emotions about BMW drivers? It could have been an electric i3 or a hot rod M5. Why should they care and if they mention it, then why not go into details of model type etc.

Actually I'm interested in what the under cover police car was. They use BMW too don't they?

Sorry for the side track.

That's quite a relevant observation about the reporting of road incidents. Some time back a car crashed in a local 30MPH zone. It was doing about 60, and the press made a very big deal about the insane maniac in his Porsche, and the brand was mentioned many times. The guy was very likely a maniac, but the press forgot to mention that my Grans old Metro with a plug cap missing could do 60 with ease, so the constant reference to the "high performance sports car" was really an irrelevance.

Top Bottom